Subject: speakers and microphones

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:23:48 +0000

Hi.

Could I suggest that chairs pay extra attention to how microphones are
used in their sessions?

The clip-on microphones are designed to be clipped on collars (i.e.,
near the head, and on the side the speaker will turn towards when
looking at the overhead screen). When done this way, they actually
work pretty well. They work very inconsistently when held by hand or
clipped too low (e.g., shirt pockets).

(And if the clip-on microphones really don't work properly when
clipped on, the right fix is to get the audio folk to adjust the
levels...  If you need audio help, you can always ask a volunteer to
go to the registration desk and ask the secretariat staff for help..)

Using microphones properly can make a big difference to others in the
room (who can't always hear) as well as remote participants and the
audio logs.

Thanks!

Thomas

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 10:26:46 +0000

> clipped too low (e.g., shirt pockets).

It would be really nice if chairs could do this.   Speakers tend to be a bit disoriented when they step up in front of the crowd, so expecting them to remember to do it is not effective.

---

From: Bill Cerveny <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 11:08:53 -0500

Note that the microphone clips do seem a little fragile; the clip came
off the microphone we were using in IPPM yesterday ...

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014, at 05:26 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> It would be really nice if chairs could do this.   Speakers tend to be a
> bit disoriented when they step up in front of the crowd, so expecting
> them to remember to do it is not effective.
>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 17:18:13 +0000

> room (who can't always hear) as well as remote participants and the

Please feel free to add to

	http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/group/wgchairs/wiki/MeetingAV#Audio

what isn’t already said there.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 17:19:04 +0000

> Please feel free to add to

The problem is that chairs _have_ to remind speakers.   So putting in the wiki isn't going to help.

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 17:22:15 +0000

> The problem is that chairs _have_ to remind speakers.   So putting in the wiki isn't going to help.

Putting it in the wiki and reminding everyone everywhere every time to read and reread this wiki might help, though.
(I think I’m doing this, except more often.)

(I particularly agree to the point that an upcoming speaker needs to be helped with this, because they are likely distracted.)

Grüße, Carsten