Subject: JitMeet video conference trial

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 23:04:02 +0200

Hi,

In London, I was approached by Bernard Aboba and Emil Ivov about setting
up a trial JitMeet server for online meeting and collaboration using Jitsi
(https://jitsi.org).

With contribution of work and server resources from Emil and Jitsi, there
is now a Jitsi server available at https://jitsi.tools.ietf.org/.  It has
been running fine since the end of April, with a few testers, and Emil and
Bernard feels that it's ready for use by a wider group of people. 

So, WG Chairs, please feel welcome to take it for a spin, using Google Chrome,
Chromium or Opera.  Support for Firefox will be available when firefox gets
multistream support.

The feature set currently supported includes:

 * Audio (G.711 and Opus)
 * Video (VP8)
 * Chat (via XMPP)
 * Collaborative editing via Etherpad
 * Screen sharing via a Chrome extension
 * Presentations via Prezi

The code is open source:

 a. The Jitsi Meet Javascript source is available here:
    https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet

 b. The Jitsi videobridge (written in Java) is available here:
    https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitsiVideobridge

The current implementation should scale to roughly a dozen users per
conference, with up to seven or eight simultaneous conferences. The
number of users per conference is roughly the current limit for Chrome
rendering.  Plans are in the works to scale it up beyond that (via voice
activity switching between the last N speakers).

This server was brought online on hardware donated for IETF use.

Please provide feedback to <[email-masked]>, which is forwarded to
to Emil Ivov for technical support and Henrik Levkowetz for information.

Best regards,

	Henrik