Subject: WG Chairs Beer Evening in Toronto

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 18:21:38 -0400

For a novelty, I'd like to plan this in advance.  This is aided by the
fact that Stephanie McCammon did some reconnoitering for me, and Matt
Kucherawy (Murray's brother, who lives in Toronto) also gave some
suggestions.

The Loose Moose <http://theloosemoose.ca/> looks like a good bet.
It's about a block away from the hotel, and Stephanie ate there and
though it was pretty decent.  It has a large space, very casual, nice,
well rounded beer list.  Matt also gives it a recommendation.

And so, tentative plan that's up for discussion:
Head to the Loose Moose after the plenary on Wednesday, 23 July.  I
think I'll do a doodle poll so we can get an idea of how many will
attend, in case we want to warn the place that we're coming.  If you
don't want to commit by name, at least stick in a pseudonym and a
grunt:

   http://doodle.com/hdc7u53yrbapxxrv

As to the discussion: If you think the Loose Moose is Totally
Terrible, or if you have a Truly Stellar place you'd like to propose
instead, have at it in response to this message.

Barry

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 09:45:00 -0400

Sounds like a great place.  Alas, I'll have to raise a pint of homebrew,
which I will endeavor to do on the evening of the 23rd.

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 15:20:56 +0200

Yes - seems to be a good place - thge only drawback is that the only
stout they seem to have is a wishy-washy Guinness.

/Loa

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:24:47 -0400

> stout they seem to have is a wishy-washy Guinness.

That is a pity -- I have a local craft-beer pub that usually has one
or two very nice, hefty... well, stout... stouts on tap -- but there
is this:

<<
Rotating Taps
We carry a unique selection of Beau's Brewing Company, Junction
Brewery and Great Lakes Brewing one off styles. They vary in styles
and flavour profiles one a weekly basis.

...so maybe there'll be something better available when we're there.
There's also this, in bottles:
   Nickel Brook Old Kentucky Bastard Bourbon Aged Stout

Barry

---

From: Andrew Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 11:44:26 -0400

> and flavour profiles one a weekly basis.

Great Lakes occasionally has a good stout.  I seem to recall a Beau's
stout one time that I didn't think much of, but then I rarely think
much of Beau's anything.  (Their most popular beer, Lug Tread, I can't
stand.)

>    Nickel Brook Old Kentucky Bastard Bourbon Aged Stout

This is pretty good.

BTW, for beer fans, while you're in Tranna, you might want to check
out C'est What and Cafe Volo.  Both are walkable from the Royal York,
though Volo's a bit of a trek; you can also get there on the subway:
Union to Wellesley on the Yonge Line (which I think has been renamed
to have a number, because nobody could understand why a big long line
was actually three lines: Yonge-University-Spadina).  

I'm not sure either of these would have been suitable for the chairs'
evening, or I would have suggested.  C'est What does large parties,
but not always terribly successfully AFAICT.  Volo is way too small.

A

-- 
Andrew Sullivan
[email-masked]

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:52:09 +0200

Folks,

It is not necessary to find a quality stout at the place we the the
chairs beer evening. There were a lot of other beers that looked
promising :).

/Loa

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 13:21:57 -0400

> chairs beer evening. There were a lot of other beers that looked

As long as no one publishes a draft on best practices for finding 
drafts, then I'm in.

tim

---

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 13:45:52 -0400

_______________________________________
From: WGChairs [[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tim Wicinski [[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 1:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: WG Chairs Beer Evening in Toronto

       tim

Finding is only part of the process; I remember taking the class on 
"pouring the perfect pint" at the social in Dublin.  But I agree, this is 
Wiki stuff.

Al

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:27:21 -0400

> well rounded beer list.  Matt also gives it a recommendation.
...
> Head to the Loose Moose after the plenary on Wednesday, 23 July.

I called the place and let them know we'd have a small horde starting
to arrive on the order of 8:00.  They said there's a Jays game
(baseball) tonight, and that 8:00 will actually be a good time, when
there's likely to be a lull in the crowd.  Who knew?

So, yes: let's all converge on the LM after the plenary, and catch
seats as catch can.

Barry

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:44:13 +0800

is there any jabber room on this?
 
-Hui
 
> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:27:21 -0400
> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
>

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:45:33 +0800

excuse me, I send wrong email, exactly I mean training lunch.
 
-Hui
 
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: WG Chairs Beer Evening in Toronto
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:44:13 +0800

-Hui

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:39:01 -0400

:-)

I’m imagining participating in going to a bar through jabber.

MIC: I want a Guiness