Subject: New datatracker release: v5.8.0

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:06:19 -0800

Hi,

This is an automatic notification about a new datatracker release, 
v5.8.0, generated when running the mkrelease script.

Release notes:

ietfdb (5.8.0) ietf; urgency=medium

   This release introduces a machine-readable API to the datatracker database
   content, based on Tastypie (https://django-tastypie.readthedocs.org/).

   Currently the API is set to read-only; but Tastypie does support
   fine-grained control of create, read, update, and delete permissions, so if
   we find that it makes sense at some point, we can open up for authenticated
   access to more than just reading database content.

   The details of which tables and objects from the database that are exposed
   in the API are controlled by a series of resources.py files; one per Django
   app.  By default, no data is exposed; in order to expose a table, the
   resources file must contain a resource specification, in the form of a
   python class which determines which table fields should be exposed, and how.

   Since we want to expose almost all the database content, rather than only a
   few selected tables, there is a lot of code which needs to be specified
   (more than 200 classes, with almost 2000 lines, at this writing) in order
   to make data available through the API.

   Rather than manually type out all of the needed classes, a management
   command (ietf/manage.py makeresources) has been added which will generate
   the needed resource classes in the resources.py files automatically.
   Existing classes will be left intact, though, which makes it feasible to
   hand tune the classes if needed, but still auto-generate resource classes
   when new tables are added.

   In addition to read access to the exposed tables and objects, the Tastypie
   API provides support for automated discovery of the available tables.  Starting
   at the URL https://datatracker.ietf.org/api/v1/, the returned machine-readable
   data provides URL information for all available API endpoints, which makes it
   possible to recurse down to all available data.

   Data is currently provided in JSON and XML format.  Adding new formats is
   fairly easy, if it should be found desriable.

 -- Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>  18 Dec 2014 07:09:19 -0800

The new version is available for installation through SVN checkout, with
  'svn checkout http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/ietfdb/tags/5.8.0'

For development, check out the new development version instead:
  'svn checkout http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/tools/ietfdb/tags/dev/5.8.1-dev0'

Regards,

	Henrik
	(via the mkrelease script)