Subject: Resolution Re: IETF Website Degradation

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 18:03:50 -0700

All -

I'm pleased to report that the earlier degradation of the IETF websites
which we were experiencing has been resolved.

We were able to make contact with Cloudflare.  They provided us with
several steps to take to manage the attack.  We followed their suggestions,
and have been able to restore fully normal service to the IETF websites,
and servers.

We'll be doing follow-up with Cloudflare, through the IETF leadership
teams, to determine what changes we might want to make to help prevent this
type of thing from happening again.  Indeed, even the steps they provided
this time will already help us respond more quickly to similar events in
the future.

Thank you all for your patience during this time, and thank you to those of
you who got in touch with me privately to offer specific insights as to the
handling of this event.  I appreciate all of the support I received from
the community, even as we here at AMS work to support you all!

Have a great night/day, and thanks again for your patience with this
incident.

Glen
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)