Subject: Help test IMAP access to the IETF archives.

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 09:41:43 -0500

Folks -

We are in the last stages of testing IMAP access to the IETF archives.

To get a simple measure of load, we'd like to have a hundred or so
geographically-distributed, simultaneous users accessing our test instance
this Thursday with various clients.

The test instance is getting mail with a slight delay after it comes 
into the lists - you should
see current traffic.

Please resist the temptation to download the entire archive of every list.
I've done it - it's huge (~28G when MailMate does it) and it it's a severe
torture test for clients. Interrupt your client if it starts trying to 
do that for you.
Caching a copy of this test instance will not be useful to you when we 
deploy.

Instead, what would help us the most is to configure your client to 
access those lists you normally
subscribe to, and to spend some time Thursday browsing/searching those 
lists, and exploring a
few lists that are new to you.

If you're willing to take the time to do this, please drop me a note 
directly (I've set reply-to on this message)
so I have a feel for whether I need to ask a bigger set of people. Feel 
free to pass this note along to other
folks you think would be good constructive testers.

You can find the details for where the test instance is listening, and 
some rudimentary instructions for
setting up a few clients, at 
<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/tools/trac/wiki/ImapTesting>. Please
improve that page as you see the opportunity. It's ok to start setting 
up the clients now, but remember
that Thursday is when we really want people to exercise the instance.

Also, please report any issues directly to me. Don't open tickets with 
the secretariat right now.
We can also use [email-masked] for general conversation.

(I've crossposted this to the chairs list. Again, reply directly to me, 
and steer general conversation towards tools-discuss).

Thanks in advance for any time you can give this.

RjS

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 09:31:46 -0500

We had a few people testing, but only a handful.
We need more please.

This server is still running, please try working with it at your 
convenience.
We'll schedule another day soon to try to all exercise it at the same time.

RjS

On 8/11/15 9:41 AM, Robert Sparks wrote:
> so I have a feel for whether I need to ask a bigger set of people. 
> Feel free to pass this note along to other
> (I've crossposted this to the chairs list. Again, reply directly to 
> me, and steer general conversation towards tools-discuss).
>

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 15:06:07 -0400

For those who haven't tried this yet, I just set it up (Mail.app) and
it Just Worked.

No muss, no fuss...

W

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> The test instance is getting mail with a slight delay after it comes into
>> the lists - you should
>> see current traffic.
>>
>> torture test for clients. Interrupt your client if it starts trying to do
>> that for you.
>> Instead, what would help us the most is to configure your client to access
>> those lists you normally
>> improve that page as you see the opportunity. It's ok to start setting up
>> the clients now, but remember
>> Also, please report any issues directly to me. Don't open tickets with the
>> secretariat right now.
> --
> Tools-discuss mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tools-discuss
>
> Please report datatracker.ietf.org bugs at
> http://tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb
> Please report tools.ietf.org bugs at http://tools.ietf.org/tools/issues or
> send email to [email-masked]

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 17:41:02 -0400

>>>>> "RS" == Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> writes:

RS> We had a few people testing, but only a handful.
RS> We need more please.

RS> This server is still running, please try working with it at your
RS> convenience.
RS> We'll schedule another day soon to try to all exercise it at the same time.

I didn't see this until today.

The imap server is too strict with the CRLF requirement.  It should
accept just LF; most servers do so one forgets to use --crlf.  And the
error it gives when CR is left out doesn't explain the problem.

Neither gnus nor k9 would work.  I had to test it w/ gnutls-cli and
openssl s_client.  I only tried anonymous.

It looks like it requires:

 1 login username password

k9, at least, wanted to use AUTHENTICATE PLAIN, which failed with:

    NO, AUTHENTICATION has failed

-JimC
-- 
James Cloos <[email-masked]>         OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 16:24:05 +0100

James,

On 15/08/2015 22:41, James Cloos wrote:
> accept just LF; most servers do so one forgets to use --crlf.
Allow bare LFs where? In commands? This is against RFC 3501.
> And the
What have you used as your username?

Best Regards,
Alexey

---

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:43:56 -0400

>>>>> "AM" == Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]> writes:

AM> Allow bare LFs where? In commands? This is against RFC 3501.

nonetheless, all imap servers I've used accept them.

Liberal in what you accept and all....

>> NO, AUTHENTICATION has failed
AM> What have you used as your username?

anonymous

-JimC

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 17:57:05 +0100

Hi James,

> Liberal in what you accept and all....
In my experience it helps to be strict to catch bugs. (Yes, I had to be 
very liberal when dealing with some widely deployed broken software.)
> AM> What have you used as your username?
This currently not implemented, but on the to do list.
You can use SASL PLAIN with your datatracker email address as the username.

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 12:24:46 -0500

On 8/17/15 12:18 PM, James Cloos wrote:
> AM> This currently not implemented, but on the to do list.
> AM> You can use SASL PLAIN with your datatracker email address as the username.
>
> Ah.  The announcement didn't mention that.
>
> And I never created an account at trac.tools.ietf, so didn't try
> that....
You need to use your datatracker credentials, not the credentials for a 
tools account.
(many people use the same credentials in both places, but they are 
separate databases)
> Trying now.

---

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 13:18:24 -0400

Trying now.

-JimC