Subject: Jabber channel suggestion - language help

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 10:55:14 -0400

This is mostly a half thought-out idea prompted by the mentor list work to
match people up with native Spanish speakers.

Jabber provides a possible useful side-channel to permit questions to be
asked in non-English languages and to provide clarifying answers in the same
language.  While IETF is the usual melting pot of languages with English
being the one we do our work in, this is mostly an issue for relative
new-comers or for the larger influx of local we sometimes find when we're 
in a given location.

I believe the only action I am suggesting here is to suggest that if people
would like clarifications of something during the presentation that they do
not wish to use mic time for, to feel free to ask the question on the jabber
channel in the language of their choice.  Sometimes even a clarifying text
answer in English may be helpful, especially when accent or speed of
speaking is the listener's issue.

-- Jeff

---

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 18:03:09 +0300

As a non-native English speaker, I don't think this is a good idea. 
Jabber can be a distraction when discussion on Jabber diverges 
significantly from what's going on in the room. Adding questions and 
answers in Spanish (or German or whatever) would make it even less 
useful to the majority of participants.

Maybe we could have a separate Jabber channel for local-language 
speakers that would aggregate these discussions. (This is also half 
thought out though.)

Thanks,
	Yaron

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:08:27 +0100

Yes, I fully support people using jabber rooms to chat among themselves, but can
we please try to keep the SNR reasonable. Imagine if the jabber room was used in
15 different languages at the same time.

I believe that there are some unofficial chats run in non-English already. We
might get some feedback on experiences by (in particular) mandarin speakers and
work out whether we should have official (note well) non-English rooms, or just
allow space somewhere for unofficial rooms.

Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: WGChairs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Yaron Sheffer
> Sent: 30 March 2016 16:03
> To: Jeffrey Haas; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Jabber channel suggestion - language help
>