Subject: Re: Jabber channel suggestion - language help

From: Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 13:13:01 +0100

On 3/30/16, 3:55 PM, "WGChairs on behalf of Jeffrey Haas"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>This is mostly a half thought-out idea prompted by the mentor list work to
>match people up with native Spanish speakers.
>
>Jabber provides a possible useful side-channel to permit questions to be
>asked in non-English languages and to provide clarifying answers in the
>same
>language.  While IETF is the usual melting pot of languages with English
>being the one we do our work in, this is mostly an issue for relative
>new-comers or for the larger influx of local we sometimes find when we're
>in a given location.
>
>I believe the only action I am suggesting here is to suggest that if
>people
>would like clarifications of something during the presentation that they
>do
>not wish to use mic time for, to feel free to ask the question on the
>jabber
>channel in the language of their choice.  Sometimes even a clarifying text
>answer in English may be helpful, especially when accent or speed of
>speaking is the listener's issue.

I like the use of Jabber to supplement meeting time, though unless
explicitly relayed to the mic, the presenter may not hear/see the comment.
Therefore, help with translation sounds like a good use to me.
This can also help with use of slang. ³Qué es un Œbikeshed¹?²

Lee

>-- Jeff

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 19:59:50 +0000

> On Apr 1, 2016, at 5:13 AM, Lee Howard <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> This can also help with use of slang. ³Qué es un Obikeshed¹?²
> 
> Lee

Per Google Translate, which of course knows all, "lo que es un bike shed" :-)

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 20:06:25 +0000

> On Mar 30, 2016, at 8:08 AM, Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I believe that there are some unofficial chats run in non-English already. We
> might get some feedback on experiences by (in particular) mandarin speakers and
> work out whether we should have official (note well) non-English rooms, or just
> allow space somewhere for unofficial rooms.

Is this simply a matter of opening a group chat at jabber.ietf.org? If so, I might suggest a naming convention such as wgname-espanol ([email-masked], [email-masked], etc). The only requirement is to have a spanish-speaker in the room that can act as jabber scribe for it and convey messages to/from the floor/mike.

---

From: "Derek Atkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:14:50 -0400

On Fri, April 1, 2016 4:06 pm, Fred Baker (fred) wrote:
> Is this simply a matter of opening a group chat at jabber.ietf.org? If so,
> I might suggest a naming convention such as wgname-espanol
> ([email-masked], [email-masked], etc). The
> only requirement is to have a spanish-speaker in the room that can act as
> jabber scribe for it and convey messages to/from the floor/mike.

Perhaps use ISO language codes?  E.g.
  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]
  [email-masked]
etc?

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: "Fred Baker (fred)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 20:29:06 +0000

On Apr 1, 2016, at 1:14 PM, Derek Atkins <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> I believe that there are some unofficial chats run in non-English already. We might get some feedback on experiences by (in particular) mandarin speakers and work out whether we should have official (note well) non-English rooms, or just allow space somewhere for unofficial rooms.
>> 

Ug. Act like a *standards*organization*? Heaven forfend...

---

From: "Derek Atkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 16:35:09 -0400

> Ug. Act like a *standards*organization*? Heaven forfend...

I know!  God forbid!!  :)

-derek

---

From: Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 21:21:35 +0100

On 4/1/16, 9:06 PM, "WGChairs on behalf of Fred Baker (fred)"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>Is this simply a matter of opening a group chat at jabber.ietf.org? If
>so, I might suggest a naming convention such as wgname-espanol

Unless traffic is very high, I would rather consolidate discussion than
fracture it. Then I could later run comments in unfamiliar languages
through a translator and figure out what was going on. Or, if I happen to
have some ability in other languages, I might have a clue what¹s being
said and contribute usefully.

Lee