Subject: Getting spammed by [email-masked] / IANA Customer Feedback.

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 11:27:54 -0400

Hi all,

I've now gotten a number of emails from
[email-masked] with the subject "IANA Customer
Feedback"

For some reason these feel spammy to me.
First there was some mail from Marilla somebody @ ICANN to the OpsAWG
list letting me know that I would be getting mail from Judy asking for
feedback. Then, 17 days later I got mail to the list from Judy. Both
of these were from unsubscribed members, and so both hit the
moderation process.

I know that the IANA review is important, and I don't (really) know
why these annoyed me as much as they did, but I discarded both of
them. Is this just me being grumpier than normal, or does this process
feel icky?

Mail to WG-chairs asking them to please ask the WG to go do a survey
at <URL>, asking to be added to the main whitelist, etc would all have
been (IMO) better.

W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 16:40:04 +0100

Those are real but not entirely well directed. They run
some script to try extract author names from IDs or some
such. They think "kitten" is one for example:-)

S.

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 18:18:06 -0400

Well, somehow they / this just managed to post to the OpsAWG (and Kitten) lists.
This time I didn't get a moderation request, and the poster
([email-masked]) isn't a (direct) list member -
perhaps the address has been added to the IETF mailman global
whitelist?

W

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 18:20:02 -0400 (EDT)

Wasn't the global whitelist modified to be anyone subscribed to any list?
Or is it still supposed to be opt-in per list?

(I was surprised to see the kitten posting go through, since the previous
two were properly held for moderation.)

-Ben

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 18:30:59 -0400

Kinda unrelated to the "how did this end up on my list" bit, I found
some of the questions in the survey to be a little, um, weird...

"How do you rate ICANN's delivery of the IANA functions when compared
with other suppliers of registration services?"

I've dealt with (what I guess are) a number of other "suppliers of
registration services" -- RIPE, APNIC, ARIN, the IEEE SA Registration
authority, my local DMV, etc -- but these all feel fundamentally
different to the IANA functions. It feels odd comparing the IANA with
these...
Anyway...

W

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 15:45:14 -0700

Hi Warren,
At 08:27 26-09-2016, Warren Kumari wrote:
>[removed]@ebiquityinsights.com with the subject "IANA Customer
>Feedback"
>

How about asking Marilla to request ebiquityinsights.com not to send 
messages about the IANA survey to your IETF mailing list(s) without 
the approval of an Area Director?

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 09:51:57 +0200

> Wasn't the global whitelist modified to be anyone subscribed to any list?

Yes.  And [email-masked] is on it.

I could add the address to the blacklist, which will make postconfirm
deep-six it.

	Henrik

---

From: Michelle Cotton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 14:52:31 +0000

Hello Warren,

The messages from Judy are for the IANA Customer Feedback survey.
The email addresses most likely were included because of being in approved RFCs in the last 12 months or because they were part of a protocol parameter request.

There are segmented groups.  Each group gets general questions and then some questions more related to their segmented group.

If you have any questions about the questions or suggestions, please write back to me and I’ll forward the suggestions to the person leading the survey.  We always look to improve the survey.

Thank you,

Michelle

********
Michelle Cotton
Protocol Parameter Engagement Manager, IANA
ICANN

-----Original Message-----
From: iesg <[email-masked]> on behalf of Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 3:30 PM
To: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Cc: WG Chairs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Getting spammed by [email-masked] / IANA Customer Feedback.

    
    
    W