Subject: RFP for IETF Meeting Network Services

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 05:23:59 -0800

The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC), on behalf of the
Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), announces this Request for
Proposals for IETF Meeting Network Services.

The IAOC is seeking vendors to perform network services for  IETF
meetings beginning in 2017 for a three-year (3) period, with an
opportunity for two (2) one-year extensions.

Generally, the services would include: storage of IETF-owned
equipment between meetings, pre-staging of equipment between
meetings; performing a pre-meeting site survey; developing a
detailed network design; shipping all needed equipment to and from
the meeting; installing all equipment at the meeting site;
conducting tests; providing operations, systems management, and user
support functions during the meeting; and performing any required
remedial work post meeting.

The Internet Society may enter into Master Service Agreements with
more than one qualified vendor.  The Master Service Agreements are
indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contracts.  IDIQ
contracts are a contracting vehicle that provide an opportunity for
delivering services at a future IETF meeting, but are not a
guarantee of an engagement for an IETF meeting.

The IETF conducts three one-week meetings a year throughout the
world, generally, one each in Europe, America, and Asia in March,
July and November.  Attendance is in the range of 1,000 to 1,400
attendees per meeting.  These meetings are in furtherance of the
IETF’s mission of standards development for the Internet.  Attendees
include engineers, computer scientists, network operators, and
academics; attendees require “always on” connectivity with one or
more devices. Meeting venues include hotels with conference space
(the preference), as well as standalone conference centers.  Meeting
space requirements are typically 40,000 square feet, comprised of 8
meeting rooms holding between 100 – 500 people each; one Plenary
room holding 1,000 people; a 120-seat terminal room; 8 offices; and
a registration area.

Generally, the wireless network must service all meeting rooms,
terminal room, offices, the registration area, and public spaces. 
Limited wired services are required in the meeting rooms and
registration area, however the terminal room requires upwards of 50
drops.  Remote participation services, audio streaming, video
streaming, and Jabber conference rooms are provided in addition to
the wired and wireless network services for the meeting. These
additional services will require network support, but are not to be
supplied through this request.

In addition to the meeting rooms, the meeting network must extend to
the public spaces, such as restaurants and bars within the facility,
as well as the guest rooms of the headquarters hotel. The IETF will
have worked with the venue during the contracting phase to ensure
this is possible and permitted.  The vendor will collaborate with
the venue staff to implement a mutually acceptable design and
implementation. 

The IETF meeting site shall be connected to the Internet through a
pair of redundant circuits. These links are often brought in
specifically for the event. The circuits are often donated from
ISPs/PTTs that are friendly with the IETF, but must be ordered and
purchased if no contributions can be arranged.  Circuit arrangements
are not to be done by the vendor.

The IETF has equipment available to be used by the vendor, which is
subject to change over time.  Vendor is to provide all other
networking equipment which may include network servers, routers,
switches, access points, cabling, and any equipment required by its
staff in fulfilling the requirements of this contract.

Performance goals of the network are support of up to 3000
simultaneous connected devices with uninterrupted connectivity
availability. Network links must all be sized to meet or exceed the
bandwidth demands of the users, within the constraints of available
technology.  Vendor shall provide sufficient performance monitoring
data to demonstrate that adequate performance is being delivered
during the required periods.

The RFP can be found at: <https://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.html>

The anticipated schedule is as follows:

	a. RFP Issued:  16 January 2017 

	b. Questions must be submitted by 23 January to 
	[email-masked].

	Responses will 	be posted by 25 January at  
	< https://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.html> 

	c. Proposal submitted by email due 8 February to 
	[email-masked]. 

	d. Proposal Review Period:  8 - 22 February. 

	e. Notification of selection for negotiation:  23 February 

	f. Contract execution:  6 March

The point of contact regarding this RFP is the IETF 
Administrative Director, Ray Pelletier, [email-masked].

Ray Pelletier