Subject: DMARC compatibility with mailing lists: looking for mailing list to test workarounds

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 00:57:20 +0100

Hi,
Many of you have seen the long discussion thread about DMARC and how it
affects use of mailing lists. IESG has narrowed down the list of
workarounds for use of DMARC with IETF mailing lists to 2 choices (I
will post more details on this to [email-masked] later on. Some details
are still being decided). In order to deploy them IETF's Mailman
software needed to be upgraded to one of the latest version. The upgrade
is now complete.

In order to help IESG decide between these workarounds IESG and tools
team would like to run some experiments and measure how they affect
different groups of participants. We would like to try each of the 2
workarounds with some of relative active IETF mailing lists. The
tentative plan is:

1) decide what kind of feedback we are expecting to collect from
deploying the workaround #1
2) deploy it on several mailing lists for some specified period of time
(e.g. 2 weeks)
3) collect and anylyze feedback received. In the meantime configuration
of the test mailing lists will be rolled back to the current setting.

Then we want to repeat this for the workaround #2.

Here is how you can help: I am looking for some candidate mailing lists
to try workarounds on. Please reply to me directly. I would be happy to
explain to chairs of affected mailing lists what the tools team has in mind.

Thank you,
Alexey

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:08:00 -0400

Hi,

> explain to chairs of affected mailing lists what the tools team has in mind.

Just a point of reference, I run a few mailman mailing lists (not IETF
related) and I've configured them with dmarc_moderation_action = "Munge
From" and it seems to work fairly well.  The only issue I've seen is
that the message-id remains as e.g. yahoo and spamassassin may consider
it a "forged message id".

-derek

-- 
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 17:10:43 +0100

> it a "forged message id".

Let's not have this discussion here.