Subject: [[email-masked]: [Idr] preempt BGP parameter squatting through warnings/errors in idnits tool?]

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 16:13:38 -0400

IDR has had a somewhat unusually bad few months for code point squatting.

While I'm not a huge fan of trying to solve all administrative problems with
tools, this one might be worth considering.  Full credit to Job for the
thought.

The obvious headache for such a tool is that allocations from newly created
registries are fine, and that distinguishing those from existing registries
is difficult.

One might have thought this would be a good thing to put into the xml2rfc
language.  Perhaps worth considering next time we rev it.

-- Jeff

----- Forwarded message from Job Snijders <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 21:06:36 +0100
From: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Idr] preempt BGP parameter squatting through warnings/errors in idnits tool?
User-Agent: NeoMutt/20170306 (1.8.0)

Hi group,

This morning I thought to myself: "isn't part of the codepoint squatting
challenge our dependence on manual review of drafts for documented
potential squatting?"

Perhaps the idnits tool (https://tools.ietf.org/tools/idnits/about) can
be updated in such a way to throw a warning or nit error when the
Working group is "IDR" and the "IANA Considerations" section contains
any of these regexes:

    [cCode] \(suggested [0-9]+\)
    suggested value .* [0-9]+\.
    [tT]he suggested value

Or perhaps only look for these if the string 'TDB' doesn't occur
anywhere the "IANA Considerations" section. I'm sure we can come up with
some likely heuristics based on prior submissions to catch potential
squatting-to-be.

The idnits tools could make a suggestion like:

    "It appears this draft targetted for IDR is self servicing BGP
    codepoints, please review
    https://trac.ietf.org/trac/idr/wiki/Checklist%20for%20writing%20a%20BGP-related%20draft
    or contact the IDR chairs".

Of course this may only be a small piece of the solution, but it could
help instill discipline in this working group.

Kind regards,

Job

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

----- End forwarded message -----