Subject: RFP for IETF and IETF Trust Legal Services Provider

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 13:37:38 -0700

The Internet Society, on behalf of the IETF Administrative Oversight
Committee (IAOC), and the IETF Trust announces this Request for
Proposals for legal services.  The successful bidder will enter into
a contract with the Internet Society.

The Provider will provide legal advice to the leadership bodies and
contractors of the IETF as requested.  The leadership bodies and
contractors consist of the IESG, IAOC, IAB, IRTF, RFC Series Editor
and the Independent Submissions Editor.  The Provider’s point of
contact at ISOC will be the IAD, but will often work directly with
the IAOC Legal Committee and other relevant people.

The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) desires a
long-term relationship commencing on January 1, 2018 of three (3)
years with a successful Provider. The contract may be extended twice
for up to two years for each extension.

The IETF is a community of volunteers interested in contributing to
the long-term vitality of the Internet.  The Internet Society is the
organizational home of the IETF and is itself a non-profit
organization.  Pro bono bids are welcomed, however, where that is
not possible, the IETF is seeking a fixed price contract with the
understanding that for certain services, as noted herein, additional
costs may apply.

The closing date for submission of proposals is Monday, October 9,
2017.

Traditionally, the legal services that IETF has required have
included the following:

The IETF seeks a legal services provider (Provider) to advise it on
all aspects of its operations.  Traditionally, the legal services
that IETF has required have included the following:

a)	Advice regarding the conduct of standard-setting activities,
particularly antitrust, intellectual property and data privacy
implications of IETF policies and activities;

b)	Development, drafting and interpretation of IETF policies
relating to intellectual property (copyright and patent), data
privacy, antitrust, and other matters;

c)	Advice regarding routine contracts with vendors and service
providers (e.g., meeting sponsors, meeting hosts, hotels);

d)	Response to third party subpoenas served on the IETF by
litigants in cases, typically patent infringement suits, in which
IETF standards or activities are implicated;

e)	 Governance and procedural issues relating to the IETF;

f)	Analysis and advice relating to relationships with other
standards development organizations, governmental entities, and the
like;

g)	Preparation of responses and comments to external agencies;

h)	Recommendation and oversight of non-U.S. counsel working on
IETF-related projects;

i)	Training sessions for IETF leadership on the above topics.

j)	Preparation of sponsorship MoUs, statements of work, software
development contracts, task orders, and vendor contracts - such as
Secretariat and NOC service providers, and related RFIs, RFPs, and
RFBs; and review of venue and hotel contracts.

Industry experience. Given the technical nature of the IETF’s work,
the Provider should demonstrate familiarity and experience with:

a)	Internet infrastructure and architecture,

b)	Standards organizations working in the telecommunications and
Internet space, including ITU, ETSI, IEEE, W3C and the like,

c)	Telecommunications and networking industry players and
industry,

d)	Software development and licensing practices, including open
source software licensing.

The RFP can be found at: https://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.html

Proposals must be received via email at [email-masked] no
later than October 9,2017.  All questions/inquiries must be
submitted in writing and must be received no later than September
20, 2017.  Responses to questions and inquiries shall be posted
online at:  https://iaoc.ietf.org/rfps.html by September 25, 2017. 

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director