Subject: Empty list moderation messages

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 12:26:16 -0800

Dear WG Chairs -

You may be noticing a number of empty list messages flowing in to your
Mailman moderation queues.  We apologize for this issue, we completely
understand that this is an inconvenience.

As you are all aware, a larger inconvenience is the ever-growing problem
with DMARC-related rejections which our participants are experiencing as
ISPs implement various blocking rules and the side-effects of those rules
are felt.  Because of that problem, the Tools team, led (in this effort) by
Russ, Alexey and Henrik, are working to develop a way of processing list
mail that solves this problem for all of our participants, regardless of
related ISP settings or rules.

To that end, a number of experiments are underway, and one of these
experiments has, unfortunately, caused the temporary forwarding of
automated non-delivery messages to some list moderation queues.    We are
aware of this problem, and are working to mitigate it, but we expect that
it may continue for at least another 24-48 hours, and potentially longer,
depending on how quickly the software engineers can isolate and resolve
this issue.

We therefore ask for your patience and understanding with this issue as we
all continue to work for a solution to the challenges at hand.

Thank you,
Glen
--
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 20:59:10 +0000

Hiya,

> understand that this is an inconvenience.

I've seen a bunch.

Doesn't get near being an inconvenience, don't worry about it.

> depending on how quickly the software engineers can isolate and resolve

When you're done with those experiments, I'd be quite interested in
more info as to what happened, if you've a chance to report back.

Cheers,
S.

-- 
PGP key change time for me.
New-ID 7B172BEA; old-ID 805F8DA2 expires Jan 24 2018.
NewWithOld sigs in keyservers.
Sorry if that mucks something up;-)

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 14:27:09 -0800

> Doesn't get near being an inconvenience, don't worry about it.

Thank you for your patience!

> more info as to what happened, if you've a chance to report back.

Right.  The Tools Team will be publishing info about this when they're done
- right now I'm sending this announcement (and one more, coming up, to
IETF-ANNOUNCE now) just because the Tools Team members working on this are
in Europe and it's late at night their time.  :-)

Thanks again!
Glen

---

From: Francesca Palombini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:04:19 +0000

Thanks for the heads-up Glen.

What do you prefer we do with these? Defer? Reject? Discard? Preserve for the site administrator? Does it matter?

Thanks,
Francesca

From: WGChairs [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Glen
Sent: den 15 februari 2018 21:26
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Empty list moderation messages

Dear WG Chairs -
You may be noticing a number of empty list messages flowing in to your Mailman moderation queues.  We apologize for this issue, we completely understand that this is an inconvenience.
As you are all aware, a larger inconvenience is the ever-growing problem with DMARC-related rejections which our participants are experiencing as ISPs implement various blocking rules and the side-effects of those rules are felt.  Because of that problem, the Tools team, led (in this effort) by Russ, Alexey and Henrik, are working to develop a way of processing list mail that solves this problem for all of our participants, regardless of related ISP settings or rules.
To that end, a number of experiments are underway, and one of these experiments has, unfortunately, caused the temporary forwarding of automated non-delivery messages to some list moderation queues.    We are aware of this problem, and are working to mitigate it, but we expect that it may continue for at least another 24-48 hours, and potentially longer, depending on how quickly the software engineers can isolate and resolve this issue.
We therefore ask for your patience and understanding with this issue as we all continue to work for a solution to the challenges at hand.
Thank you,
Glen
--
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 12:04:58 +0100

Hi Francesca,

On 2018-02-16 11:04, Francesca Palombini wrote:
> What do you prefer we do with these? Defer? Reject? Discard? Preserve
> for the site administrator? Does it matter?

Discard.

The messages in question will be blank; there's no information there that
would be helpful.  FWIW, I believe I addressed the issue that caused these
about 11 hours ago, so you should not be seeing any new coming in of this
kind.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 08:14:06 -0500

> On Feb 15, 2018, at 15:59, Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I've seen a bunch.
> 

I’m seeing a bunch.  Glad to know it wasn’t something more sinister!

spt