Subject: W.G. Issue Tracker

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 11:49:34 -0700

Hi,

How do I set up an issue tracker for a 6man draft?  On the https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ page it says:

WG Issue Trackers
Henrik Levkowetz
Some IETF Working Groups have issue trackers set up to facilitate tracking of document issues. To find the issue tracker of a WG, please go to the WG status page and follow the link which says 'Issues' in the top horizontal menubar. If there is no such link, the WG doesn't have a registered issue tracker.

But nothing about how to get one setup.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

---

From: "Marc Blanchet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2018 14:52:24 -0400

in your tools wg page, click wiki. then login, then tickets.

Marc.

On 4 Apr 2018, at 14:49, Bob Hinden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How do I set up an issue tracker for a 6man draft?  On the 
> https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ page it says:
>
> WG Issue Trackers
> Henrik Levkowetz
> Some IETF Working Groups have issue trackers set up to facilitate 
> tracking of document issues. To find the issue tracker of a WG, please 
> go to the WG status page and follow the link which says 'Issues' in 
> the top horizontal menubar. If there is no such link, the WG doesn't 
> have a registered issue tracker.
>

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 12:02:07 -0700

Personally, I would suggest using Github instead of the Tools Issue tracker, since that enables PR management as well as Issue tracking.

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 11:52 AM, Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 12:03:46 -0700

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 12:02 PM, Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

So how do I do that?

Bob

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 12:04:11 -0700

Marc,

> in your tools wg page, click wiki. then login, then tickets.

Thanks.  So in one place we call them w.g. issue trackers, in another place they are called tickets?  Not very well documented.

Also, bringing up the tickets page is very very slow :-(

Bob

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 21:39:24 +0200

Hi Bob,

On 2018-04-04 20:49, Bob Hinden wrote:
> WG Issue Trackers Henrik Levkowetz Some IETF Working Groups have
> issue trackers set up to facilitate tracking of document issues. To
> find the issue tracker of a WG, please go to the WG status page and
> follow the link which says 'Issues' in the top horizontal menubar. If
> there is no such link, the WG doesn't have a registered issue
> tracker.

Oops.  That's outdated.  I'll update it at once.  All WGs now have wikis
with issue trackers at http://trac.ietf.org/trac/<ACRONYM>.

The wiki for 6man is at https://trac.ietf.org/trac/6man, and you can see
tickets at https://trac.ietf.org/trac/6man/report/1.  The issue tracker
is automatically updated with ticket (issue) component names matching the
WG drafts.  New tickets can be added (login with your datatracker login
is needed) at https://trac.ietf.org/trac/6man/newticket.

No further setup should be needed.  I hope that helps.

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 21:42:56 +0200

Hi Bernard,

> Personally, I would suggest using Github instead of the Tools Issue tracker, since that enables PR management as well as Issue tracking.

True.  But then you have to handle the per-draft setup of trackers or
components manually; the trackers at https://trac.ietf.org/trac/$wg/newticket
are automatically updated with all active WG drafts as components.

If you use a different WG issue tracker, please also remember to add links
to the tracker from the wiki and in the WG page on the datatracker (chairs
can add external WG links to their datatracker WG page if they are logged in).

Best regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 12:49:45 -0700

Bob said:

"So how do I do that?"

[BA]  Here are some initial steps:
1. Create an account on Github (https://github.com/ ).  Often WGs use the
name of the WG (e.g. rtcweb-wg, tlswg, etc.) as the account.
2. Read the brief intro document:
https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/
3. Take a look at Martin Thomson's draft:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-github-bcp
4. Create a repo for the draft.  Typically this will include at least the
draft, and perhaps the XML2RFC source and build scripts/tools.

Example repos for other IETF WGs:

RTCWEB: https://github.com/rtcweb-wg
TLS: https://github.com/tlswg

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 12:03 PM, Bob Hinden <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Personally, I would suggest using Github instead of the Tools Issue
> tracker, since that enables PR management as well as Issue tracking.
>
> So how do I do that?
>
> Bob
>
> >
> tracking of document issues. To find the issue tracker of a WG, please go
> to the WG status page and follow the link which says 'Issues' in the top
> horizontal menubar. If there is no such link, the WG doesn't have a
> registered issue tracker.
> >>>

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2018 12:51:28 -0700

Bernard,

I will take a look.

I will use the trac.ietf.org for now, but look into this for next time.

Thanks
Bob

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 12:49 PM, Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Bob said:
> 
> "So how do I do that?"
> 
> 1. Create an account on Github (https://github.com/ ).  Often WGs use the name of the WG (e.g. rtcweb-wg, tlswg, etc.) as the account.
> 2. Read the brief intro document: https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/
> 3. Take a look at Martin Thomson's draft: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thomson-github-bcp
> 4. Create a repo for the draft.  Typically this will include at least the draft, and perhaps the XML2RFC source and build scripts/tools.
>

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 16:14:41 +1000

> name of the WG (e.g. rtcweb-wg, tlswg, etc.) as the account.

I strongly recommend creating a personal account (e.g., bobhinden) and
then a separate working group organization (e.g., ietf6manwg).  People
who participate on github under "organization" names create the same
sort of confusion we get when people join working group lists under
those names.  We had one of those in TLS recently.

> draft, and perhaps the XML2RFC source and build scripts/tools.

See https://github.com/martinthomson/i-d-template for some more
sophisticated tools.  You don't need to go there to get the issue
tracker, of course.

> TLS: https://github.com/tlswg

QUIC uses the more advanced setup, which allows for a snapshot of the
current version of the draft(s):
https://quicwg.github.io/base-drafts/draft-ietf-quic-transport.html

---

From: Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 10:38:00 -0400

> Personally, I would suggest using Github instead of the Tools Issue tracker, since that enables PR management as well as Issue tracking.

Maybe not the best choice for 6man, since they still lack IPv6 support. 
I don't know how many people have had to dev/test on an Ipv6-only 
network, then switch to a dual-stack network to push code or update 
tickets, but it's a pain.

Lee

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 10:55:48 -0400

> Maybe not the best choice for 6man, since they still lack IPv6
    > support. I

I'm also really annoyed at github as well.

And then there is travis-ci, which is using **Google** App engine, which
hasn't even got ::1 on loopback!  You can't even open two IPv6 sockets
and connect client/server to test code.

    > don't know how many people have had to dev/test on an Ipv6-only
    > network, then
    > switch to a dual-stack network to push code or update tickets, but it's a
    > pain.

NAT64 should work just fine for github access...

I wish that ISOC Deploy360 had a good wall-of-shame.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 11:36:26 -0400

> NAT64 should work just fine for github access...

Sure, if what you're testing is an IPv6 network with NAT64 or other 
transition mechanisms. If you're trying to test what happens when there 
are no such mechanisms, you need native IPv6.
> I wish that ISOC Deploy360 had a good wall-of-shame.

They did sponsor this work: https://nat64check.ipv6-lab.net/v6score/
https://nat64check.ipv6-lab.net/v6score/measurement-27629/

But we're pretty far afield of issue trackers now. And Github did tell 
me they expected at least a NAT64 gateway in 2018.

Lee

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 11:58:58 -0400

Lee Howard <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > But we're pretty far afield of issue trackers now. And Github did tell me
    > they expected at least a NAT64 gateway in 2018.

That's good then.   Did they mention which quarter?