Subject: Fwd: Improvements to the mailarch tool, and plans to discontinue the mhonarc archives

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 14:04:23 -0500

Forwarding in case anyone missed this on ietf-announce...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Improvements to the mailarch tool, and plans to discontinue 
the mhonarc archives
Date: 	Wed, 3 Oct 2018 13:19:00 -0500
From: 	Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>

There have been several improvements to the mailarch tool recently.

If you haven't already discovered it, please try out the new "Static Mode",
particularly if you frequently use the Mhonarc archives.

See, for example, 
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/static/ietf/2018-09/>.

To get this view by default when browsing lists, set "Static Mode On" in 
the
Settings menu at top right of the page. This preference is stored in a 
cookie.

Also note that the speed of searching a list, and searching across 
multiple lists
has been significantly improved. The use of whitespace and fonts have 
also been
adjusted.

We are working towards a single copy of the archived mail list messages. 
Currently,
mailarch and IMAP work from the same files, but MonArch uses a separate 
set of files
in another format.

We plan to discontinue the use of Mhonarc soon, likely between IETF 103 
and 104.
When we make that change, all exising URLs into the Mhonarc archives 
will redirect
to the same message in mailarch as discussed in section 2.7 of RFC6778.

Please exercise the mailarch system. If you find issues, report them at
<https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/ietfdb/newticket> and choose the
"MailArchive: User Interface Component". Alternatively, you can send mail
to [email-masked].