Subject: tools.ietf.org issues?

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 13:41:30 -0500

Have I perhaps missed a message about tools.ietf.org being decommissioned?
It appears to be down.

-- Jeff

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2018 10:46:33 -0800

Hi Jeff,
>Have I perhaps missed a message about tools.ietf.org being decommissioned?

I can access tools.ietf.org.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 14:58:13 -0500

Thanks for the confirmation.  The 403 in question persists after clearing cookies.  I'll look into filing a ticket for myself on Monday if it doesn't clear by then.

-- jeff

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.22 (Debian) Server at tools.ietf.org Port 443

> On Nov 9, 2018, at 1:46 PM, S Moonesamy <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Jeff,

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 21:02:07 +0100

Jeff, please email me off-list with details about the IP address that
returns the 403, to start debugging this.  All the 3 servers which
should be returned by DNS for tools.ietf.org are up and responding
from where I sit, so this needs some digging.

	Henrik

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2018 12:06:17 -0800

Hi Jeff,
At 11:58 AM 09-11-2018, Jeffrey Haas wrote:
>Thanks for the confirmation.  The 403 in question persists after 
>clearing cookies.  I'll look into filing a ticket for myself on 
>Monday if it doesn't clear by then.

There may be an issue with one of the servers.  I suggest reporting 
it to [email-masked]

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 14:12:27 -0500

Followup:
Henrik confirms that my IP was blocked because it was looking a bit too
aggressive.  In this case it was my RSS reader polling for trac wiki diffs
every 15 minutes.

-- Jeff

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 20:26:26 +0100

Mph.

That's not an entirely complete description.

At the time I blocked Jeff's IP, I was working to bring the server in
question down from being inresponsive, with a load number of above 150,
due to (mostly) Chinese crawlers that didn't honour robots.txt.  At that
time I blocked the 8 addresses/address blocks with the most accesses over
the last 24 hours.  Jeff's address was one of them.

	Henrik