Subject: WG Chairs Forum on training gaps

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 10:53:30 -0400

The discussion at the mic was about training for new chairs.

As an existing chair, I need three things myself:
  a) re-inforcement and updates to state-of-the-art how to do things.
     The WG Chairs Luncheons often work for this, but I find the amount of
     time available limiting.
     The RTG area has made good attempts to do this as virtual interim,
     and I think it should be expanded.

  b) a set of materials that I can use when mentoring new (co-)chairs.
     This needs to be in the form of Tutorials/Checklists/Walk-Throughs.
     But, it also needs to have good links to authoritative references.
     The gaps document mentions many overlaps, and I think what we need is
     a professional editor run through of the wiki.

  c) a set of materials appropriate for new authors and shepherds that
     explain the process.   As a WG chair, I need to these materials so that
     I can help new authors and new IETFers.   I particularly want to make
     sure that the shepherd role is a way to bring more people in to take on
     bigger roles.    I think that many chairs are doing this role themselves.

     For (c), I would love something like the crayon-videos (Minute Physics, etc.)
     on how things work.... in particular, it would be nice to have an
     animated version of IANA Considerations :-)

     This is particularly accute in the CELLAR WG where 95% of authors are remote.

{on the topic of unstructured time causing more conflicts: not in my
experience.  I have had a large number of conflicts for the past 5-7 years of
meetings. I blame IoT topics being cross-area, and also the increasing number
of meta-topics like iasa2 that need to attract a large number people}

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-