Subject: Posts by non-members

From: Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 13:27:24 -0400

Are there clear rules on how to deal with posts by non-members?

Regards,
 Rifaat

---

From: Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 10:36:35 -0700

A gentle reminder to subscribe to the mailing list does the job. But if the person insists on not wanting to subscribe, I remind them that they will miss out on future communication. After all this, if they still insist, and the mail is relevant, I generally let them through.

> On Apr 5, 2019, at 10:27 AM, Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

Mahesh Jethanandani
[email-masked]

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 12:36:27 -0500

If they are valid posts, I let them go through and then add them to the
list of allowed posters.  I don't get too many across two mailing lists.
If they're spammy, then I click the button to discard anything from that
poster.

Regards,
Mary.

---

From: Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 13:41:33 -0400

Thanks Mahesh, Mary,

My question is whether there are any documented IETF rules on how to deal
with this. Or is this left to the discretion of the chairs?

Regards,
 Rifaat

---

From: "Acee Lindem (acee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 17:45:16 +0000

If it is someone who should be able to legitimately send to the list but doesn't need to get all the traffic (e.g., an AD outside the area during IESG review), I'll subscribe them with the nomail option. 
Thanks,
Acee

On 4/5/19, 1:37 PM, "WGChairs on behalf of Mahesh Jethanandani" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    
    Mahesh Jethanandani
    [email-masked]

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 12:52:27 -0500

> Are there clear rules on how to deal with posts by non-members?

The act of subscribing acts as a forcing function for acknowledging the
Note Well.  OTOH, if you know that the sender in question is aware of the
Note Well obligations, accepting the post and adding to the list of allowed
senders seems pretty reasonable to me.

-Ben

---

From: Rifaat Shekh-Yusef <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 13:56:27 -0400

Thanks you all!
That was very helpful.

Regards,
 Rifaat

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 13:08:21 -0500

I think they get a response that they are posting to a list to which they
aren't subscribed, don't they?  I find that many times, the individual ends
up subscribing.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 12:37 PM Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> A gentle reminder to subscribe to the mailing list does the job. But if
> the person insists on not wanting to subscribe, I remind them that they
> will miss out on future communication. After all this, if they still
> insist, and the mail is relevant, I generally let them through.
>

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 13:11:24 -0500

I don't think there are any documented rules and I'd personally rather
there not be.   I think common sense applies here.

The only time I've seen complaints about moderation was when we
intentionally put a moderator's hold on messages because someone was
getting way OT with their posts and did not heed warnings that we would
block them if they didn't stop.

Regards,
Mary.

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 14:25:30 -0500

> If it is someone who should be able to legitimately send to the list but doesn't need to get all the traffic (e.g., an AD outside the area during IESG review), I'll subscribe them with the nomail o…

As of early 2016, this should never happen.

If you find AD, directorate reviewer, or other messages from active 
participants of the IETF community being blocked due to not being a 
subscriber, please contact [email-masked] and ask to have your 
mailing list updated to use the global whitelist.

/a