Subject: Re: Managing CC List

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 18:41:19 -0400

Fred Baker <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > 1) you really want to be sure that any email address removed is on the
    > email list, so that a person is not prevented from receiving the
    > email. If there is another email address is that *not* on the email
    > list, it needs to not be edited away. The objective here is to shorten
    > the CC line, not to exclude people that are presumably interested in
    > the conversation.

Aside from the multiple copies of email that people receive (which MUAs
attempt to de-duplicate, but often fail if the list has to adjust the
message), the additional entries in the archives likely slightly increases
their occurance in spam harvesters.

But, I think that bigger problem is that, since the email goes direct often
arriving many minutes before other people, this encourages a lot of ping-pong
among a subset of participants.  In some of the virtual-IETF meeting
experiments that have been discussed in manycouches, an important thought was
a way to rate limit how fast exchanges go, so that people in many time zones
can participate equally.

I did not quite understand your point (2) about editing.
I think that maybe I've restated it above?

{Now, in addition to changing the subject line, I think that you ought to
have removed the References and In-Reply-To headers to have formed a new
thread}

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 10:55:20 -0500

I'm puzzled as the only time I get duplicate messages is if I'm using two
different email accts.  I have my mailing list subscription configured to
not get duplicates.  Personally, I don't think it's something to make a
deal about - at least for me this stuff is a drop in the bucket compared to
that all other emails I deal with.

It's nice when people change subjects or edit cc's, but then if people were
following the original thread and didn't think a thread of a different
topic was relevant, they could well miss a response.  Again, something in
the not a big deal situation.

Regards,
Mary.