Subject: On mailing list management and RFC 3934

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 16:32:07 -0500

Working group chairs --

I have introduced a PR Action on the ietf@ietf mailing list regarding 
the behavior of a specific disruptive individual; see 
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/dC4nxuB-Glom87-otfdBf_-Tu84 
for details.

This action will take a while to reach a conclusion. Until it does, to 
mitigate the effects of the specific individual becoming potentially 
even more disruptive, I wanted to make sure that this group is aware of 
the procedures outlined in RFC 3934. For ease of reference, I have 
copied the relevant text below.

>     As in face-to-face sessions, occasionally one or more individuals may
>     engage in behavior on a mailing list that, in the opinion of the WG
>     chair, is disruptive to the WG process.  Unless the disruptive
>     behavior is severe enough that it must be stopped immediately, the WG
>     chair should attempt to discourage the disruptive behavior by
>     communicating directly with the offending individual.  If the
>     behavior persists, the WG chair should send at least one public
>     warning on the WG mailing list.  As a last resort and typically after
>     one or more explicit warnings and consultation with the responsible
>     Area Director, the WG chair may suspend the mailing list posting
>     privileges of the disruptive individual for a period of not more than
>     30 days.  Even while posting privileges are suspended, the individual
>     must not be prevented from receiving messages posted to the list.
>     Like all other WG chair decisions, any suspension of posting
>     privileges is subject to appeal, as described inRFC 2026  <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2026>  [RFC2026  <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2026>].
>
>     This mechanism is intended to permit a WG chair to suspend posting
>     privileges of a disruptive individual for a short period of time.
>     This mechanism does not permit WG chairs to suspend an individual's
>     posting privileges for a period longer than 30 days regardless of the
>     type or severity of the disruptive incident.  However, further
>     disruptive behavior by the same individual will be considered
>     separately and may result in further warnings or suspensions.  Other
>     methods of mailing list control, including longer suspensions, must
>     be carried out in accordance with other IETF-approved procedures.
>     SeeBCP 83  <https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp83>  [RFC3683  <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3683>] for one set of procedures already defined and
>     accepted by the community.

/a