Subject: Mailing list mail getting lost

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 20:18:36 +0100

Something that only happens on I-D deadline days:
Some of the recent core WG emails don’t appear in the archive (and, apparently, also weren’t sent to list members).
Are we the only ones?

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 15:18:24 -0500

Carsten,

While it's good to check if other WGs were affected, you should also alert
[email-masked] to make sure that it gets tracked and Glen sees it.

Cheers,
Andy

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 2:18 PM Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Some of the recent core WG emails don’t appear in the archive (and,
> apparently, also weren’t sent to list members).
> Are we the only ones?
>
> Grüße, Carsten
>
>

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 12:34:16 -0800

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 12:31 PM Andrew G. Malis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Carsten,
> While it's good to check if other WGs were affected, you should also alert [email-masked] to make sure that it gets tracked and Glen sees it.
> Cheers,
> Andy

Hi guys -

I'm not on this list, but this email got forwarded to me...   :-)

Yes, I see a ticket in Action, just getting to those now after a
morning firestorm :-)  but...  what would be really helpful is knowing
*which* emails are missing.  If I just look at the archives, I won't
know or be able to tell what wasn't sent.

So can someone send me a sample?  What was the most recently-lost
email?  I have raw mail logs for about a week, so if it's recent I can
trace it through.  Otherwise, the next time an email gets lost - just
email me directly and immediately with a copy of the lost email, with
all headers, so I can track it down that way.

Thanks!
Glen

---

From: Mohit Sethi M <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 04:05:05 +0000

I can confirm that EMU is also affected.

--Mohit

---

From: Mohit Sethi M <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 05:29:36 +0000

Update: Glen has resolved this at lightening speed.

Explanation: A personal domain had caused an unusually high spam score 
(8.2) and our mailing list was auto-configured to hard-discard messages 
with a score of 5 or higher.

--Mohit

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 06:29:20 +0000

Hi,

Carsten is referring to a couple of reply e-mails that I sent to the CORE list.

I am not sure exactly what information you need, but the subject of both e-mails was "Re: [core] Stateless proxy and 5.04 (Gateway Timeout)". There were a few hours in between when I sent the e-mails

Note that e-mails from others have shown up on the list.

Regards,

Christer

________________________________
From: WGChairs <[email-masked]> on behalf of Glen <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, November 4, 2019 10:34 PM
To: Andrew G. Malis <[email-masked]>; Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Cc: Working Group Chairs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mailing list mail getting lost

Hi guys -

Thanks!
Glen

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 06:32:11 +0000

Note that Carsten later sent my e-mail to the list from his account, and then it did show up.

I also sent e-mails to e.g., the SIPCORE list, and they did show up.

Regards,

Christer

________________________________
From: WGChairs <[email-masked]> on behalf of Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg=[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 8:29 AM
To: Glen <[email-masked]>; Andrew G. Malis <[email-masked]>; Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Cc: Working Group Chairs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Mailing list mail getting lost

Hi,

Regards,

Christer

Hi guys -

Thanks!
Glen

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 07:32:28 +0100

> Carsten is referring to a couple of reply e-mails that I sent to the CORE list.

I sent copies to Glen a couple of minutes ago.

> Note that e-mails from others have shown up on the list.

Interestingly, my resend of your message didn’t make it to the archives either.

I think that the spam filter hint that Mohit gave may be spot on.
I don’t think we have changed this mailman configuration in this decade, though.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 22:54:52 -0800

> I don’t think we have changed this mailman configuration in this decade, though.

Hi everyone -

Thanks for this.  Yes, in these cases, I see that Christer's original
message, and Carsten's resend attempts, both ALSO fell afoul of the
Spamhaus service - in this case "projectcool" appears to be
blacklisted, and the copies mentioning that got blocked.

*sigh*

I'm forced to conclude that Spamhaus is suddenly and massively broken.
Earlier I told Mohit that I had deprioritized Spamhaus in the
Spamassassin configuration, and that should prevent these listings
from triggering.  Now, given this second hit on an entirely different
domain, (which happened before I made my change, yes, but it still
*happened*, and two IETF user domains both showing up blacklisted
tells me something is wrong there) I've pretty much zeroed out
Spamhaus (giving it, now, a score of 0.5, down from the 2.0 I'd
dropped it to before.)  Clearly something is broken there, and they
are no longer a reliable check source.  Sad... but entropy (almost)
always increases.  :-)  My edits should prevent this from happening
again... at least for Spamhaus-related causes.

Of course there may have been other missed messages, but given the
samples I've seen, I'm calling this resolved at least for the past, as
of now.  If new messages, after the date/time of this message I'm
sending now, continue to have trouble, then I'll of course check
further.  In those cases, the best thing you can do is email me
directly, and forward me a copy of the lost sent message, with all
headers intact, as soon as possible.  This gives me the best chance of
identifying the issue quickly.

It's 22:53 local, so this will be my last email for the night, but all
of you absolutely should email me at any time for any reason if you
need anything at all.   Make sure my email [email-masked] is in your
address books.  :-)

Thanks,
Glen
--
Glen Barney
IT Director
AMS (IETF Secretariat)

---

From: Glen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 06:39:48 -0800

Hi Christer -

I'm betting this is unrelated.  This morning (A little while ago my
time) we experienced a pretty heavy network attack.  I've just fended
that off but had to reboot us.   Everything was ground down to
essentially a halt, but should be back online now.

Sorry for the continued issues - let me know if the messages make it through.

Glen

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 6:21 AM Christer Holmberg
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Today I have sent a couple of replies to the MMUSIC list (subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Starting shepherd's review of draft-ietf-mmusic-t140-usage-data-channel-07), that haven't showed up either...
>
> Regards,
>
> Christer
>
>
>
> On 05/11/2019, 8.55, "Glen" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 14:21:21 +0000

Hi,

Regards,

Christer

    
    Hi everyone -

    *sigh*

    
    
    Thanks,
    Glen
    --
    Glen Barney
    IT Director
    AMS (IETF Secretariat)