Subject: Request for IETF Hallway webex please (webex troubleshooting)

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 19:43:43 +0100

Dear IESG

Could we please create an IETF meeting room "hallway".

This could serve both as an initial simple way to emulate IETF hallway
discussions, like we also have on jabber, but:

The main issue that can be resolved there is support for all those IETF
members that want to join an IETF webex at some later time and want to
test their webex connection from home, get advise how to fix it etc.

Lets assume if we would get a lot more webex sessions for IETF soon, 
a dedicated webex session for such troubleshooting should help a lot to
make the actual work webex more productive and not too much bothered
with troubleshooting.

Happy to help on this side. Sure that other chairs would also be happy
to hang out on such a channel. 

Given how webex named channels work, maybe create user "hallway" and
share the password amongst sufficiently many chairs to keep it alive.
(unless there is a better way in webex to do this).

Cheers
    Toerless

---

From: Jim Fenton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 12:01:40 -0700

> (unless there is a better way in webex to do this).

Having just come off a Webex call where the host (meeting organizer)
didn't arrive until late, there wasn't much we could do besides talk.
Specifically, screen sharing wasn't possible. For this to work, there
would have to be a clueful person on this conference (I would call it
"helpdesk" rather than "hallway" based on your description) basically
all the time. Do we have enough Webex-clueful people to staff this?

I'm also not sure that using Webex to try to help users with Webex would
be very successful.

-Jim

---

From: "Job Snijders" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 20:04:55 +0100

Yeah it’s a real shortcoming in Webex (and other teleconference tools) that the “host” must be present to press a button so the group can have a useful meeting.

Kind regards,

Job

---

From: "Marc Blanchet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 15:06:45 -0400

when I setup a webex interim meeting, I always share the host password 
to at least my co-chair and sometimes to the presentors/key people so 
they don’t rely on me if I’m late or else.

Regards, Marc.

---

From: Jane Coffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 19:06:52 +0000

The host does not need to be present for Zoom meetings.
You can accommodate for that in advance...
Jane

On 3/10/20, 3:05 PM, "irsg on behalf of Job Snijders" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Kind regards,
    
    Job

---

From: "Morteza Ansari (moransar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 19:22:35 +0000

Note that a large number of these properties are configurable in WebEx, some at the global site setting and some at the time you schedule a meeting. You can definitely configure WebEx meeting to allow more flexibility and control to anyone in the meeting with or without the host. Also you can have alternate hosts for a meeting to allow some level of redundancy if that helps and does not require sharing of host password.

Cheers,
Morteza

On 3/10/20, 12:07 PM, "WGChairs on behalf of Marc Blanchet" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Regards, Marc.

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 20:23:41 +0100

Jim:

You can not do effective webex troubleshooting without having a webex
channel for troubleshooting. So i stand by my request that we must have
one for IETF to improve IETF use of conferences.

Of course, not all webex troubleshooting can happen ONLY across
webex. you do need another channel too. I implied, but didn't mention
that those that support troubleshooting would for example hang out also
on "hallway" jabber. If thats not sufficient for troubleshooting than
the person with problems and the troubleshoot help can pick up a phone.

Cheers
    Toerless

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 20:26:04 +0100

Depends a lot on the site seeting. The more controlling the
site admin is, the less the users with passwords can do.
And its hard to figure out as a user with an account which important
options are missing because they where disabled by the admin.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 07:22:35PM +0000, Morteza Ansari (moransar) wrote:
> ???On 3/10/20, 12:07 PM, "WGChairs on behalf of Marc Blanchet" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>     they don???t rely on me if I???m late or else.
>     
>     Regards, Marc.
>     

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 22:40:13 +0000

Same for webex (and similar systems), it all depends on the settings of the conference. It can start on time even without the host.

-éric

-----Original Message-----
From: iesg <[email-masked]> on behalf of Jane Coffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, 10 March 2020 at 20:07
To: Job Snijders <[email-masked]>, Jim Fenton <[email-masked]>, Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: WG Chairs <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [irsg] Request for IETF Hallway webex please (webex troubleshooting)

    
        
        Kind regards,
        
        Job