Subject: Experimental deployment of CodiMD

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 11:01:51 -0500

Chairs -

I have an experimental deployment of CodiMD available at 
https://codimd.ietf.org (it is currently also available over http, but 
its on my list to change that).

It is currently configured to be very open, similar to how we have 
etherpad configured. Anonymous edits are allowed and any page can be 
created by making up a path. You can register with the site with a 
round-trip email verification and then your edits will be attributed to 
you. Later, we can look at integrating this with datatracker credentials.

If you want to try to use it as an alternative to etherpad, you can 
create a page with a name that makes sense and share it with your group.

For example: https://codimd.ietf.org/stir-interim-2020-04-20 (with 
content pasted anonymously from what we had in the etherpad).

Note that it allows very rich markup. See the documentation at 
https://hackmd.io/c/codimd-documentation/%2F%40codimd%2Fmarkdown-syntax. 
An example of some non-trivial markup is at https://codimd.ietf.org/stir.

This is not integrated with the datatracker. Links will not appear on 
the upcoming meetings page to this resource at this time.

If it gets uptake and we move it out of experimental, we'll start that 
integration.

Please try it out if you are interested and provide feedback.

Please also be very careful to copy your notes out immediately at the 
end of your session. This is experimental - I intend to keep it 
available, but it could go away at anytime if we learn that something 
fundamental needs to change.

RjS

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 17:38:29 +0100

Hi Robert,

Thanks for sharing.

I expect I can predict the answer to this already but I'll ask anyway:
could this be used to author Internet-Drafts using the Markdown workflow?

Cheers
Lucas

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 11:41:01 -0500

> could this be used to author Internet-Drafts using the Markdown workflow?

With cut-paste into github, perhaps? But I don't recommend this 
particular deployment be used that way at this time.

RjS

>
> Cheers
> Lucas
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 5:02 PM Robert Sparks <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Chairs -
>

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 18:50:24 +0200

On 2020-04-22, at 18:38, Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Robert,
> 
> Thanks for sharing. 
> 
> I expect I can predict the answer to this already but I'll ask anyway: could this be used to author Internet-Drafts using the Markdown workflow?

Hi Lucas,

Yes, we are doing this a lot.  There is quite some RFCXML-specific clutter that needs to be ignored by everyone editing, but in the end this is still a reasonable user experience.

You still need to copy/paste (import/export) files at the end of editing sessions; it would be nice to automate this, but this is clearly a nice-to-have.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 18:56:32 +0200

> I expect I can predict the answer to this already but I'll ask anyway: could this be used to author Internet-Drafts using the Markdown workflow?

(Forgot to mention that I’m, at leisurely pace, porting over the various diagram generating schemes that can be lifted from CodiMD into kramdown-rfc.  Goat [SVG from ASCII art] is already in, others [if they can be coerced to generate SVG] will follow…  Local installation of tools is required of course, not sure how this will port over to the various CI schemes.)

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Tim Wicinski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 13:01:59 -0400

Oh Robert !

it has Slide Mode!  This looks promising.

As for the minutes, I would say if these were created with an owner email (
[email-masked])
a solid first step is just mail it to the chairs.

tim

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 12:50 PM Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Yes, we are doing this a lot.  There is quite some RFCXML-specific clutter
> that needs to be ignored by everyone editing, but in the end this is still
> a reasonable user experience.
>
> You still need to copy/paste (import/export) files at the end of editing
> sessions; it would be nice to automate this, but this is clearly a
> nice-to-have.
>
> Grüße, Carsten
>
>