Subject: Keywords for your working groups...

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 14:40:59 -0400

Hi there all,

It is often hard for both newcomers and existing participants to the
IETF to find where interesting work happens. As an example, if I care
about BGP, which WGs should I pay attention to? IDR is one, but there
is also GROW and SIDROPS and BESS and RIFT and LSVR and ... and I'm
sure I'm missing some...

A related issue is that it can be hard to justify your time and
expense to the pointy-haired-boss types - you can tell them that the
IETF does lots of important / related work, but it's hard to explain
what...

 Alexey and I have been wanting to add "keywords" to the datatracker -
a set of descriptive tags to attach to the WGs and drafts to make it
simpler for people to figure out what work happens where.

In order to test this and see if it is useful, I've thrown together a
simple proof of concept -- I read in some keywords from a spreadsheet,
and generate a some webpages:
https://www.superficialinjurymonkey.com/keywords/index.html

I've shared this with Ops&Mgmt chairs, and the IESG, and we've filled
in some terms, but I would appreciate it if you could go through and
add some keywords for your working groups.

PLEASE NOTE:
1: This is still very much a proof of concept - eventually there will
be a better UI than a spreadsheet, and a curated list of terms

2: Please choose terms that are descriptive, and relatively well known
- a small number (5-10) of common terms is much much better than many
obscure ones.

3: I generate 2 pages, one for newcomers / pointy-haired-bosses, and
one for regular IETF participants. Please label *very* generic terms
(things that your boss's boss, or favorite uncle will have heard of)
with an asterisk (*) - these will show up on the "overview" page.

4: Again, this is a proof of concept / work in progress. I manually
run the program to generate the webpages, so don't expect to see this
update immediately.

5: Please try reuse existing keywords -- if you see 'Iot', please use
that and not 'IOT'

The spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12GTFBwvlTVAM-sm3w3e6WR3Sf9O5mx7y81zJXPbN6vo/edit?usp=sharing

Once this is a bit more established / we have confirmed that it is
working well we can look into making it more productionized and less
janky...

Also, as always, feedback welcome...

Thank you all,
   W

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad
idea in the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair
of pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Jane Coffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 19:21:37 +0000

Warren -

Thank you.  I think this is a great idea, and note that this is a proof of concept/work in progress

Best,
Jane

On 4/21/20, 2:42 PM, "irsg on behalf of Warren Kumari" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    Hi there all,

    

    PLEASE NOTE:

    

    The spreadsheet:

    
    Thank you all,
       W