Subject: codimd.ietf.org now uses auth.ietf.org as its identity provider

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 12:04:28 -0500

I just deployed a change to codimd.ietf.org to use auth.ietf.org for the 
identity service provider rather than datatracker.ietf.org. It's still 
the datatracker providing the service (and the login will look exactly 
like the datatracker login page, because it is), but accessing it 
through the different name lets us more easily configure different 
workers to handle the identity service requests vs other datatracker 
activities.

For the most part, you will notice no difference, but if you have been 
logged into codimd, you will find yourself logged out now, and the first 
time you login again (consequently using auth.ietf.org) you will have to 
login there, even if you are already logged in at the datatracker. 
Apologies for that bit of inconvenience.

RjS

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 14:48:27 +0200

On 2020-08-20, at 19:04, Robert Sparks <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> the first time you login again (consequently using auth.ietf.org) you will have to

… wait a LOONG time, don’t give up prematurely, it does work.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 14:55:27 +0200

Hi Carsten,

> … wait a LOONG time, don’t give up prematurely, it does work.

Right after we deployed this yesterday, I tested and saw the long warm-up
time.  Since then, I've tweaked the Apache mod_wsgi settings for the auth
server, and my testing doesn't show long wait times except right after an
Apache reload.

So:  Did you experience the long wait time yesterday (expected) or today,
and if today, about when?  (I did a reload 13:28 CEST today; if you hit
that, the long time would also have been expected, otherwise not.)

Regards,

	Henrik

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 09:02:03 -0400

> On Aug 21, 2020, at 8:48 AM, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I tried it yesterday, and it took s long time too.  However, today it is very quick.  I cannot think of any caching in the browser that would account for the difference.

Russ

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 08:33:49 -0500

> I tried it yesterday, and it took s long time too.  However, today it is very quick.  I cannot think of any caching in the browser that would account for the difference.
It's not caching in the browser - it's whether the apache worker that 
you attached to has to initialize (load the backing python libraries or 
not). We are tuning so that the long wait goes away.