Subject: GitHub Use for IETF Working Groups

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 12:10:59 -0800

To the WG Chairs,

Many IETF working groups are now using GitHub. RFC 8875 [1] and 8874 [2] 
detail IETF Working Group GitHub administration. Per the RFCs, the WG Chairs 
must add the IETF Secretariat (@ietf-secretariat) and the WG's Area Directors as 
owners of the WG GitHub organization. Instructions for how to create your WG 
GitHub, as well as how to add the appropriate owners, can be found on the WG 
Chairs page [3].

If you already have a GitHub organization for your working group, please verify 
that the IETF Secretariat (GitHub user ID: @ietf-secretariat) is an owner. In 
addition, please make sure that the WG GitHub is included within the “Additional 
Resources” section of the the WG’s Datatracker page 
(e.g., https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/drip/about/). In addition to making it easier 
for people to find, linking your GitHub from within the Datatracker also ensures 
that the GitHub data will be backed up by the IETF. 

If your working group does not yet have a GitHub Organization and you would 
like us to set one up for you, please send email to [email-masked] with the 
subject line "GitHub Organization Request for WGACRONYM." Please include 
the GitHub ID for each WG Chair and WG Secretary.

If you have any questions, please let us know! 

Best regards,

The IETF Secretariat

[1] https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8875
[2] https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8874
[3] https://www.ietf.org/chairs/github/