Subject: Making YouTube videos work better for IETF/IRTF participants

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 09:31:28 -0500

I hope everyone had a lovely IETF 111, and rested up at least a little
before starting to read IETF e-mail.

So, full disclosure,I REALLY miss having MeetEcho posting archival videos
that synchronized the chat with the speakers and slides, etc. but we're
where we are now, so I'm going with that, and want to make a positive
suggestion.

Making our session videos available on YouTube is in many ways a good thing
for making them accessible to the world, but my recent experience poking
around at IETF videos on YouTube has been that searching for a specific
video from a specific IETF meeting doesn't work super well. Feel free to
try this, for past meetings of your own groups, and see what else pops up
along the way.

Rather than hoping that situation changes, I'm wondering if it's worth
putting links to IETF meeting session YouTube videos in the datatracker for
various groups under "Meetings", so I can "view all the past session videos
for QUIC, in order" without having to wander through spurious matches with
other videos, trying to remember if the group actually met at IETF 108, not
knowing whether a video has been uploaded from a session earlier in the
week, and stuff like that.

Specifically, I'm thinking about requesting that we either add a "Meeting
VIdeos" selection to pages like
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/quic/meetings/, or just include them as
part of the "Meeting Materials" for each meeting, perhaps appearing with
the agenda, minutes, and blue sheets at the top of pages like
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/session/quic.

Obviously, working group/research group co-chairs could add that to the
minutes, if they remember to do that, and are in a part of the world where
YouTube isn't blocked, but it would be better if that happened
automagically(*) when the YouTube video is uploaded, so we could pretty
much count on them being available. So, if I'm going to ask someone else to
do work, I should start with the goal in mind.

Would your working group/research group participants find making
your YouTube videos helpful?

Please share your thoughts, when you have a moment.

Best,

Spencer

(*) I mean "automagically from the working group/research group chair
perspective". I've had too many conversations with secretariat folk, Greg
Woods, and tools team members to think that ANYTHING around here happens by
accident 😀

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 16:49:43 +0200

On 2021-07-31, at 16:31, Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Would your working group/research group participants find making your YouTube videos helpful?

Absolutely.
Link should be easy to add to datatracker by whoever puts them up.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: "MORTON JR., AL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:53:17 +0000

Spence wrote:

Sure, it can be very helpful to review the recording,

and
...that searching for a specific video from a specific IETF meeting doesn't work super well.

I’d rather not to search too long for resources, either.
Al

From: WGChairs <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Spencer Dawkins at IETF
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2021 10:31 AM
To: WG Chairs <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] Steering Group <[email-masked]>
Subject: Making YouTube videos work better for IETF/IRTF participants

I hope everyone had a lovely IETF 111, and rested up at least a little before starting to read IETF e-mail.

So, full disclosure,I REALLY miss having MeetEcho posting archival videos that synchronized the chat with the speakers and slides, etc. but we're where we are now, so I'm going with that, and want to make a positive suggestion.

Making our session videos available on YouTube is in many ways a good thing for making them accessible to the world, but my recent experience poking around at IETF videos on YouTube has been that searching for a specific video from a specific IETF meeting doesn't work super well. Feel free to try this, for past meetings of your own groups, and see what else pops up along the way.

Rather than hoping that situation changes, I'm wondering if it's worth putting links to IETF meeting session YouTube videos in the datatracker for various groups under "Meetings", so I can "view all the past session videos for QUIC, in order" without having to wander through spurious matches with other videos, trying to remember if the group actually met at IETF 108, not knowing whether a video has been uploaded from a session earlier in the week, and stuff like that.

Specifically, I'm thinking about requesting that we either add a "Meeting VIdeos" selection to pages like https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/quic/meetings/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/datatracker.ietf.org/wg/quic/meetings/__;!!BhdT!yoI49bJgf1qpJSmPLsa1_oisx4DmSdxLVbkMKMxSaRspaLfQRULAJmcIeKRrmyY$>, or just include them as part of the "Meeting Materials" for each meeting, perhaps appearing with the agenda, minutes, and blue sheets at the top of pages like https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/session/quic<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/session/quic__;!!BhdT!yoI49bJgf1qpJSmPLsa1_oisx4DmSdxLVbkMKMxSaRspaLfQRULAJmcIiqKfEds$>.

Obviously, working group/research group co-chairs could add that to the minutes, if they remember to do that, and are in a part of the world where YouTube isn't blocked, but it would be better if that happened automagically(*) when the YouTube video is uploaded, so we could pretty much count on them being available. So, if I'm going to ask someone else to do work, I should start with the goal in mind.

Best,

Spencer

(*) I mean "automagically from the working group/research group chair perspective". I've had too many conversations with secretariat folk, Greg Woods, and tools team members to think that ANYTHING around here happens by accident 😀

---

From: Ian Swett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 11:47:59 -0400

I think this is a good suggestion.

I tried searching for 'ietf110 MASQUE' and 'ietf100 quic', and the results
seemed quite good, but YMMV.

On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 10:54 AM MORTON JR., AL <[email-masked]> wrote:

> *From:* WGChairs <[email-masked]> *On Behalf Of *Spencer
> Dawkins at IETF
> *Sent:* Saturday, July 31, 2021 10:31 AM
> *To:* WG Chairs <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] Steering Group <
> [email-masked]>
> *Subject:* Making YouTube videos work better for IETF/IRTF participants
>
>
>
> Making our session videos available on YouTube is in many ways a good
> thing for making them accessible to the world, but my recent experience
> poking around at IETF videos on YouTube has been that searching for a
> specific video from a specific IETF meeting doesn't work super well. Feel
> free to try this, for past meetings of your own groups, and see what else
> pops up along the way.
>
>
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/quic/meetings/
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/datatracker.ietf.org/wg/quic/meetings/__;!!BhdT!yoI49bJgf1qpJSmPLsa1_oisx4DmSdxLVbkMKMxSaRspaLfQRULAJmcIeKRrmyY$>,
> or just include them as part of the "Meeting Materials" for each meeting,
> perhaps appearing with the agenda, minutes, and blue sheets at the top of
> pages like https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/session/quic
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/session/quic__;!!BhdT!yoI49bJgf1qpJSmPLsa1_oisx4DmSdxLVbkMKMxSaRspaLfQRULAJmcIiqKfEds$>
> .
>
>
>

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 13:56:20 -0500

Hi, Ian,

> seemed quite good, but YMMV.

Yeah, there are things that work well. Adding a dash (the videos are
actually tagged as something like "IETF111-QUIC-") doesn't seem to reduce
false positives, and if you're searching for a meeting that didn't happen
or hasn't been uploaded yet, it's REALLY hard to figure that out.

I was searching for "IETF-111-MOPS" before it was uploaded, and I still got
LOTS of matches 😀

But fixing this for IETF and IRTF people to find things quickly, easily,
unambiguously, and "where we should already be looking for related
information" seems like a better plan than figuring out how a mutable
matching algorithm works this week ...

Best,

Spencer