Subject: Re: Making YouTube videos work better for IETF/IRTF participants

From: Meetecho IETF support <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 16:16:34 +0200

Hi Spencer,

Il 31/07/21 16:31, Spencer Dawkins at IETF ha scritto:
> I hope everyone had a lovely IETF 111, and rested up at least a little 
> before starting to read IETF e-mail.
> 
> So, full disclosure,I REALLY miss having MeetEcho posting archival 
> videos that synchronized the chat with the speakers and slides, etc. but 
> we're where we are now, so I'm going with that, and want to make a 
> positive suggestion.
> 
> Making our session videos available on YouTube is in many ways a good 
> thing for making them accessible to the world, but my recent experience 
> poking around at IETF videos on YouTube has been that searching for a 
> specific video from a specific IETF meeting doesn't work super well. 
> Feel free to try this, for past meetings of your own groups, and see 
> what else pops up along the way.
> 
> Rather than hoping that situation changes, I'm wondering if it's worth 
> putting links to IETF meeting session YouTube videos in the datatracker 
> for various groups under "Meetings", so I can "view all the past session 
> videos for QUIC, in order" without having to wander through spurious 
> matches with other videos, trying to remember if the group actually met 
> at IETF 108, not knowing whether a video has been uploaded from a 
> session earlier in the week, and stuff like that.
> 
> Specifically, I'm thinking about requesting that we either add a 
> "Meeting VIdeos" selection to pages like 
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/quic/meetings/ 
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/quic/meetings/>, or just include them 
> as part of the "Meeting Materials" for each meeting, perhaps appearing 
> with the agenda, minutes, and blue sheets at the top of pages like 
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/session/quic 
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/session/quic>.

all video recordings are added to the Datatracker as soon as they're 
uploaded to YouTube. In the QUIC example you made above, you can get the 
video recording via the buttons on the top-right corner of the page, 
second to last icon:

	https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/session/quic

The same also happens for all interims that are hosted on Meetecho.

As a side note, the same videos are accessible in a similar way from the 
agenda page (still second to last icon on each row):

	https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/agenda

or from the meeting proceedings, where you have a "Recordings" column:

	https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/proceedings

Hope this helps,
Alessandro

> Obviously, working group/research group co-chairs could add that to the 
> minutes, if they remember to do that, and are in a part of the world 
> where YouTube isn't blocked, but it would be better if that happened 
> automagically(*) when the YouTube video is uploaded, so we could pretty 
> much count on them being available. So, if I'm going to ask someone else 
> to do work, I should start with the goal in mind.
> 
> Would your working group/research group participants find making 
> your YouTube videos helpful?
> 
> Please share your thoughts, when you have a moment.
> 
> Best,
> 
> Spencer
> 
> (*) I mean "automagically from the working group/research group chair 
> perspective". I've had too many conversations with secretariat folk, 
> Greg Woods, and tools team members to think that ANYTHING around here 
> happens by accident 😀

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 15:29:43 +0100

>         https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/proceedings

I never noticed these before, that's incredibly helpful.

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 18:37:05 +0200

Hmm.. i hope to remember correctly that this is new and was
actually added after we asked about it... since IETF110...

Thanks so much, meetecho/datatracker team!

Now its so much easier to spend the week
after ietf doing watching IETF too ;-))

Cheers
    Toerless

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 11:46:25 -0500

Hi, Alessandro,

>> The same also happens for all interims that are hosted on Meetecho.
As Lucas noted below, I've ALSO never noticed that, and ALSO find it
incredibly helpful.

One thing that might be worth repeating, my question was about making the
videos more useful for IETF and IRTF participants, so this was about making
the YouTube recordings visible in the datatracker (in the right places).
Given that they're already visible in the datatracker if someone knows
where to look, maybe they just need to be a little MORE visible 😉

So, what I think I'm saying - and this ought to be a pretty easy request,
because of the work that's already been done, and thanks for that, is that
the "recording" link, which is an icon that people might notice on
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/111/session/quic if they look up and
to the right, be available as a "spelled-out" link, the way the Agenda,
Minutes, and Bluesheet links are.

Does that make sense to people?

I had a side conversation with Gred Wood (added as CC here, in case I'm
misquoting that conversation) about the search mechanisms in YouTube, where
he pointed out that the channel-specific search (after you search for
https://www.youtube.com/user/ietf) works fine, and there is an IETF 111
playlist containing what's uploaded, so if you are curious enough to search
on YouTube, you'll probably find what you're looking for pretty easily).

Continuing that thought, based on the fact that all of the recordings are
uploaded quickly (just checking PANRG, that one was Thursday evening my
time, and was uploaded sometime Friday), and the fact that it's gotten
really easy to generate links to specific times within a YouTube recording,
adding those links to our finalized minutes would be awesome, if we
remember to do that. (I know some people have been)

Best,

Spencer