Subject: Agenda line ordering?

From: Dave Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 17:43:39 -0400

This seems like a petty thing to observe, yet I'm really curious about
how this arose.  I have a guess, yet ... what's led to the state the
agenda having a nice simple room numbering yet some (not all!)
sessions not being listed in the order of the rooms?

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/112/agenda/

I mean, yeah, it's trivial swaps with the worst of it being Thursday
session 3 having a whopping two pairs of lines out of the conventional
order.  ("Literally unplayable!" is what I think the kids are meme-ing
these days.)

I'm thinking that from a UI perspective, having a direct
correspondence between the room and line numbers
would be a good idea.  But, I know we don't do UI so maybe we should
leave it be. :)

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 19:38:05 -0400

> sessions not being listed in the order of the rooms?

The agenda has long been ordered within each session alphabetically by
area, then alphabetically by WG short-name within each area.  When
we've met in person, that has meant that the room names were in no
sensible order during each session.

Here, online, clearly the "room names" are arbitrary, and they could
just be changed to put them in order.  But then, as swaps are made,
one has to remember to change the room names also.  It doesn't seem
worth worrying about.

Barry

---

From: tjw ietf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 19:42:29 -0400

Then why aren’t the room numbers assigned that way ?  

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 26, 2021, at 19:38, Barry Leiba <barryleiba=[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
>>

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 20:38:19 -0400

> Then why aren’t the room numbers assigned that way ?

Probably because it didn't make sense to change the tooling just for
this situation.

In a real meeting venue, when you move a session from one time slot to
another, you can't just change the room as well, because room
capacities vary.  So it's all done with a lot of care.  Sure someone
could have changed the tools for this case, where the room names are
arbitrary, to re-name the rooms.  Is that really worth the trouble?  I
don't think so.

Barry