Subject: call for technical tutorials

From: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 04:17:20 +0000

WG Chairs,

The emodir is looking to restart technical tutorials for the IETF. They have fallen by the wayside during the pandemic.

The current proposed format is one hour in length, scheduled like a virtual interim.

As a starting point, I thought I would solicit WG Chairs to see if you had any tutorials related to your working groups that you would like to propose. We need a topic/title, short abstract, outline of the presentation, and presenters (maybe 1-3). Once we have a solid proposal, we can work on scheduling and such.

Going forward, we are open to suggestions about how to improve the quality of these and make them more attractive to a broader audience. But, for now, lets just get a few under our belt.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Karen

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 06:52:11 +0200

Karen:

Thanks a lot for restarting this.

Some structural thoughts:

If the presenters are investing good work for good presentations, it would be
great if the tooling side would also help to proliferate the work.

I for once find the dumping of IETF recordings and playlists on youtube
severely lacking to effectively reach a wider audience for our work. This
is ok. so far, because we have not really produced material other than
what we need for our own work. But IMHO tech-tutorials can attact
viewership beyond this.

Aka: would be great if we could think about better collateral organization
like a techtalk.ietf.org web-page, mailing list, highlighting techtalks
on the ietf home page and the like. Would IMHO also motivate presenters
to invest more effort and maybe help to grow our community.

Especially thinking about some of the best tech-talks from the past
nobody can find anymore and i think "what a lost effort"..

Given how this is virtual, i would also suggest a a flexible amount of
Q&A for discussions at the end. And maybe some structure that helps
listeners to take the next steps if they are interested in a topic
(which WG, doc references, mailing lists, hackathon, etc. pp.).

I would also suest to have on that webpage, e.g.: techtalk.ietf.org
some mean to poll the audience what topic they would like to see
presentations for. That helps to figure out what topics would
be of most interest.

Overall of course, it would be good to ask that presentations should
include a ood amount of use-case example for the technology, to make
the payload more digestable for novices.

If this is set up in a way that it helps to proliferate our
work, i'd of course be happy to contribute with presentations.

Cheers
    Toerless
Of course, i'd be happy

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 08:04:53 +0200

Can I get existing tutorials into this program?

E.g., https://youtu.be/y46dARLUmmI

(Sorry, that’s 18 and not 60 minutes.
I could fluff this up a bit with recently introduced features.)

Grüße, Carsten

> On 2021-10-29, at 06:17, Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> WG Chairs, 
>

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 09:50:30 -0400

> As a starting point, I thought I would solicit WG Chairs to see if you
    > had any tutorials related to your working groups that you would like to
    > propose. We need a topic/title, short abstract, outline of the
    > presentation, and presenters (maybe 1-3). Once we have a solid
    > proposal, we can work on scheduling and such.

I don't have any material to share.

Technical things that I'd like contributors to know more about:
1) using git without a web browser
2) using command lines on OSX, Windows Linux Subsystem
3) resolving git conflicts
4) leading design team meetings to resolve issues and pull requests
5) working with git, github, kramdown, datatracker from behind the Great
   Firewall of China and/or locked-down corporate laptops.
6) how to quote email properly in Outlook.  How to turn off HTML.
7) how to respond to IESG DISCUSS emails
8) why big changes to drafts requires a locking protocol, while small changes
   do not.
9) how to share your PPT presentation via meetecho,zoom,etc.
   (or, why more pixels is not better)

    > to invest more effort and maybe help to grow our community.

This higher bar would make me reluctant to do tutorials.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 15:02:14 +0100

I think that what Karen is talking about is "technical related to IETF topics". For example, we had one on "how modern routers are built" and another on "traffic engineering".

Thus "everything you need to know about my WG's pet topic in one hour"

A

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 16:42:03 +0200

> Technical things that I'd like contributors to know more about:
[...]

Your list is another good bucket, but i think a different bucket.

> This higher bar would make me reluctant to do tutorials.

Would you prefer to give presentatons that are hidden so well, nobody would
find them and watch them ?

What the bar is and who decides about the bar is IMHO quite orthogonal
to making the presentations easier accessible and well marketed.

Cheers
    Toerless

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 07:59:14 -0700

On October 29, 2021 at 9:50:50 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

Hi!

...
> 7) how to respond to IESG DISCUSS emails

Warren recently wrote this blog post:
https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/

Alvaro.

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:01:27 -0400

> find them and watch them ?

"invest more effort"
   tells me that you think current level of effort is too low :-)

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:02:42 -0400

Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > I think that what Karen is talking about is "technical related to IETF
    > topics". For example, we had one on "how modern routers are built" and
    > another on "traffic engineering".

Ah.
Well, I don't think we should do this within context of WG lunchtime
training.   This should be IAB Tech talks.

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 17:23:53 +0200

>    tells me that you think current level of effort is too low :-)

No. It means that in my case and probably those of other presentation
developers, we can invest different amounts of work into slides for the
same topic, and if we do want that contributors to these techtalks do
create their best slides, we may need to offer them something
in return.

I for once will invest more into slides when i know those slides would
reach to more, especially novice people. Hence my ask to make sure we
do announce/organize those presentations as good as possible to achieve
maximim distribution.

If you are ever going to think about one degree of investment for a particular
slide set, thats perfectly fine.

Cheers
    toerless

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 17:27:29 +0200

Traffic engineering is an output/product of IETF work, so i think
that one fits perfectly into the historic tech talks from
Sunday afternoons and would very likely have a lot of interest
from an audience outside IETF as well.

modern router architecture is not an output of IETF, so wold agree
this to be a different bucket. It surely would be of interest to people
ouotside IETF, but it would be even more important to have a more
aligned discussion about this within the IETF community. Would be
great if someone from IAB would pick it up.

Cheers
    Toerless

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 11:42:29 -0400

> https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/

His advice is not wrong (it's very right), but it's not terribly helpful from
an authoring *process* point of view.

I also think that it significantly lacks advice to WG chairs on what to do.