Subject: seeking advice on design/hackathon calendaring and WG lists

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 13:07:56 -0400

In an attempt to maintain open communication about design teams and hackathon
efforts, I "invite" the WG list to the events that are scheduled.
(these are not virtual interim meetings!)

This gets into various people's MUAs and perhaps their calendars as well who
are really not involved.  They decline the invitation, since they likely
don't want it cluttering their calendar.  That's reasonable.
But, then I get the decline, which (on google calendar at least), inserts
them as a declined person.  Okay.

But, then I do something with the event: renew it, change it, fix the
teleconference URL, etc.  and of course, it goes back out (unicast) to the
people who declined.  That just seems disruptive to them, to me.
Sometimes I remember to remove them from the invite list as I notice them.

But, is there any better way?

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 19:42:47 +0100

PIM-SM, (*,G) distribution trees have (S,G,RP-bit) prune state.

Last time i remember us having a discussion about the "please unsubscribe me"
issue on mailing lists like ietf@, i remember that folks annoyed about those
recurring requests made the remark that MUAs should be able to easily filter
mails based on patterns. I don't use modern/good MUA or calendering,
but technically, that should be the right solution IMHO.

Practcally i did suggest on some other thread that it wold be great
to have web-based IETF calenders where one could filter what one wanted
to see. That would probably be he solution that IETF could best control.

Given how you like github so much, could those calendaring mails not
go to some github mailing list to which folks interested in a topic
would subscribe to ? I have not checked if/how github could do that beyond
subscription to commits/issue updates though.

CHeers
    Toerless

-- 
---
[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 06:10:12 -0400

> subscription to commits/issue updates though.

AFAIK, github does not let me insert arbitrary content into their
distribution list.  Such as a calendar invite.  That's probably a good policy.

While github has (ab)used the List-Id header to insert information on which
repo your are getting emails about, it's not a list.

(The long of this is that the IETF probably should have it's own gitlab where
we could do the right thing)

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide