Subject: Meetings from the forum meetings

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:11:47 +0000

Thanks to Jean Mahoney for taking minutes of the first session of the WG Chairs forum a couple of weeks ago.  Her minutes are attached.

We got our act together for the second meeting and set up a HedgeDoc, and Bron Gondwana took minutes that can be found at https://notes.ietf.org/xi1M1mXdThWoU2-YXhWPzA#

At some point, one of the EMODIR chairs (Karen or Greg) will post them to the interim meeting, I suppose.

Happy holidays and new year, everyone.

                /r$

Subject: Notes from the WG chairs forum session
From: "A. Jean Mahoney" <[email-masked]>
To: Karen O'Donoghue <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 10:57:29 -0600

WG Chair Forum meeting - 2021 Nov 30

Karen O'Donoghue and Rich Salz

Agenda:

-- Administrative and Agenda bash
-- Report on recent WG Chairs training
-- Update on WG Chairs site (chairs.ietf.org)
-- Update on emodir status and activities
-- Open discussion

Karen presented Note Well, Reminder of Code of Coduct.

Meeting is being recorded in Zoom. Zoom is being used for a more social 
interaction.

Agenda bashing - none

------
IETF Chairs Training Summary
Presenter: Greg Wood
Slides: 
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2021-emodir-01/session/emodir__;!!GjvTz_vk!FZjmrTnwWwWNFGnyjzOhSNPBNCmtzU85sJQT9-t4PIhJst3gbRs9Tv-BxLLp$ 
Program took 8 weeks, 40 people participated.
Interaction among participants was valued.
chairs.ietf.org - where the videos are posted, what we might cover next.
Would like more participation. Don't have to be a current chair to 
participate.

Karen - What training should we do next? What artifacts are helpful?

Barry - I was there as an observer, but I learned a lot, appreciated the 
opportunity.

Karen - there's a critical mass when the conversation is useful.

Barry - 12-15 participants is a good number for discussion.

Karen - 5-10 people per section on average. Good for conversations, but 
need more participates.

Mahesh - How many chairs are there?

Barry - last I counted 200-250 people, but I haven't counted recently.

Karen - two sets of problems - people are not aware of things going on. 
Others who saw it but chose not to sign up.

Greg - we asked ADs to contact chairs directly. This can be more 
effective. Addressing the issue of "too busy" is to have the material on 
demand, but it doesn't provide the value that the discussions brought. 
Maybe we could do a hybrid model to discuss.

Barry - the discussion is the critical part. Interesting survey 
questions - for those that attended but not all the sessions - why? For 
those who didn't attend at all - why?

Karen - scientists and engineers tend not to run to the front to the 
queue to sign up for these.

Rich - I took the course and it was really good. We got 1/3 to sign up 
and 1/3 of those to attend. Bron has posted feedback on the chairs list.

Greg - we'll be planning for training in 2022. More suggestions welcome. 
Check out the materials on chairs.ietf.org.

Karen - please look and provide suggestions. We have budget for training.

Daniel - Perhaps we could subscribe to a calendar for these events?

Karen - that's worth investigating further. We have the datatracker 
upcoming meetings calendar. If you signed up, you received a calendar 
invitation. We now have datatracker set up for emodir.

------
chairs.ietf.org
Presenter: Greg Wood

Set up for holding the training materials. Could hold more. It's beta 
format. Idea is to organize around common chair tasks. Incorporates 
content from https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.ietf.org/chairs__;!!GjvTz_vk!FZjmrTnwWwWNFGnyjzOhSNPBNCmtzU85sJQT9-t4PIhJst3gbRs9Tily4ZXq$  but doesn't incorporate chairs wiki 
info because the wiki is not been updated often.

David - I suggest that you organize the website twice - task-based and 
also content organization.

Greg - would an effective search help?

David - yes plus sitemap

Karen - what are the future plans for the wiki? We've talked about 
reducing duplication of information.

Greg - it's in progress. We're moving away from the trac platform. There 
would be tuned set of content for new chairs.

Reese - Are you also planning to deduplicate information with 
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ietf.org/chairs/__;!!GjvTz_vk!FZjmrTnwWwWNFGnyjzOhSNPBNCmtzU85sJQT9-t4PIhJst3gbRs9TmcV3y9l$  ? I found that site helpful as a new chair 
to get oriented last year

Karen - I like the term "deduplicate". There is also authors.ietf.org. 
Is that still under development?

Greg - yes, it's aimed at people authoring I-Ds. Please send feedback to 
the chairs mailing list.

------
Update on emodir
Presenter: Karen O'Donoghue

We have an education, mentoring, and outreach directorate. Links:
datatracker.ietf.org/dir/emodir/about

It's organized around audiences - potential and new IETF participants, 
current IETF participants, and IETF leadership.

We're focused on bringing new participants in rather than explaining 
IETF to other bodies.

newcomers activities at 111 - prerecording videos, escape room, coffee 
breaks, mentoring. Hard to do virtually. 12 mentoring matches in 111. 6 
matches in 112. How do we get an adequate number of mentors? How to make 
the program year round rather than meeting focuses. Hard to measure how 
effective this is in bringing newcomers in.

next steps for emodir - identifying the small set of projects that we 
will work on in the near term.  Soliciting ideas and participation from 
the chairs. How can the WG Chairs forum be used to foster participation 
and discussion?

------
Open mic

Harald - thank you for bringing us together.

Rich - does meeting after the meeting, an interim, work? or should we 
find time during the meeting?

David - This is more convenient for virtual sessions, lunchtime is 
better during in-person meeting weeks.

Jeffrey - I prefer not stacking everything in conference week, but also 
recognize that conference week enables calendar availability

Karen - during the meeting, it would either be a side meeting or a 
session slot.

Daniel - it's better to have a short session.

Karen - this is an experiment to do 2 sessions to be fairer to everybody.

Karen - how are your WGs going? Anyone want to discuss?

Rich - how many people think we'll meet in March?

Karen - I think even when we meet in person there will be a larger 
online contingent.