Subject: [Wish] Magnus Westerlund's No Objection on charter-ietf-wish-00-01: (with COMMENT)

From: Magnus Westerlund via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 05:43:35 -0800

Magnus Westerlund has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-wish-00-01: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-wish/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am on the verge of a block here.

So the goal is to establish a one-way media over an WebRTC peer connection
between a media producer and a consumer. What isn't clear in this work is who
is the intended initiator to this communication. After having looked in
draft-imurillo-whip it appears the intention is for the media producer (or its
controller) to initiate the HTTP connection to a consumer (or its controller).
Where the necessary configuration is established.

I assume based on signalling the media flow could be reversed so the consumer
initates the media establishment, but that is also not clear. Clarifying the
high level functionality here in the charter might avoid the need for
specifically commenting on screens. Because that would basically work if the
consumer can be the initiator and request media to it.

The other aspect that I realize is missing is the scope of capability
negotiation here and preference indication. Defining this from a WebRTC API
perspective might be possible but is not clear. What is needed here? What is
assumed about third parties creating media profiles for this type of devices?