Subject: [Wish] Can query strings form part of a unique WHIP URL?

From: Cameron Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2021 16:38:36 -0700

Just wondering what other opinions are on using the query-string to identify
WHIP endpoint URLs?

>From my reading of the last draft, it would seem to be valid currently.

I can also see some use cases.

Let's say I have a WHIP endpoint which can handle 5000
channels:

https://foo.com/channel1
https://foo.com/channel2
...
https://foo.com/channel5000

It might also be useful to have HTML on those URLs instead, and have the
WHIP accessed
like so:
https://foo.com/channel1        -> html
https://foo.com/channel1?WHIP   -> whip

For example, the HTML at .../channel1 could present a page supporting using
*.getUserMedia()
to send a stream to .../channel1?WHIP

The URI/URL RFC, "RFC3986" considers the "query component" part of the
URL/URI.

Thoughts?

Cameron

---

From: Sergio Garcia Murillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 15:50:49 +0100

Hi Cameron,

Definitely, the query string is part of both the WHIP endpoint and
resources url. While we won't specify any particular format for the
url/query stream on the spec, it is up to each WHIP server to decide how
they want to use them.

Best regards
Sergio

El jue, 4 nov 2021 a las 0:38, Cameron Elliott (<[email-masked]>)
escribió:

> For example, the HTML at .../channel1 could present a page supporting
> using *.getUserMedia()
> --
> Wish mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/wish
>

---

From: Juliusz Chroboczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 19:33:47 +0100

> It might also be useful to have HTML on those URLs instead, and have the WHIP
> accessed like so:

> https://foo.com/channel1?WHIP   -> whip

Galene uses the same URL for both the HTML and the WHIP, and uses the HTTP
method (GET or POST) to distinguish between the two.

The goal is to avoid having to explain to many things to the users -- they
get a single URL for both browser and WHIP.

-- Juiusz