Subject: Workshop on Mobile Agents for Telecommunication Applications, Ottawa-Canada

From: "Ahmed Karmouch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:09:56 -0400

======================================
 [My apologies if you receive this more than once]

==============================================================
CALL FOR PARTICIPATION MATA'99

First International Workshop on Mobile Agents for Telecommunication
Applications
===============================================================
6-8 October 1999, Ottawa, Canada
More information on MATA'99 is available at
http://ocri.genie.uottawa.ca/mata99

SCOPE:  Mobile agents refer to self-contained and identifiable computer
programs that can move within he network and can act on behalf of the user
or another entity. Most of the current research work on the mobile agent
paradigm has two general goals: reduction of network traffic and
asynchronous interaction. These two goals stem directly from the desire to
reduce information overload and to efficiently use network resources. There
are certainly many motivations for the use of mobile agent paradigm;
however, intelligent information retrieval, network and mobility
management, and network services are currently the three most cited
application targets for a mobile agent system. The aim of the workshop is
to provide a unique opportunity for researchers, software and application
developers, and computer network technologists to discuss new developments
on the mobile agent technology and applications. The workshop will focus on
mobile agent issues across the areas of network management, mobile
applications, Nomadic computing, feature interactions, Internet
applications, QoS management, policy-based management, interactive
multimedia, Tele-learning applications, and Computer Telephony Integration.

---------------------------------------------
Tutorials (Wednesday October 6)
---------------------------------------------

Introduction to Extensible Markup Language XML (half-day)
 Lloyd Rutledge and Jacco van Ossenbruggen, CWI, Netherlands

Mobile Agent Development Using Concordia (half-day)
David Wong, Joe DiCelie, Mitsubishi, USA

---------------------------------------------------
Technical Program (Thursday October 7)
----------------------------------------------------

Keynote:
Chairperson: Ahmed Karmouch, University of Ottawa, Canada
Speaker: T. Magedanz, IKV++ GmbH, Germany
	An Open Agent Platform for Telecommunications
	and its Role in the European ACTS CLIMATE Initiative

Session 1: Mobile Agent Architecture and Models
Chairperson: Roger Impey, National Research Council of Canada

Advanced Mobile Agent Architectures for H.323 IP Telephony
Jinrong Tang, Tony White, Bernard Pagurek, Carleton University, Canada
Roch Glitho, Ericsson Research Canada

Mobile Software Agent Model and Architecture of JMSAS
Chen Chong, Huo Jiwen, Bi Kai, Mai Zhongfan,
Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, China

Business Mobile Agent Platform (BMAP)
Kamel Sadi, Alcatel Corporate Research Center, France
Farah Belaidi, INRIA, France

Client-Server and mobile agent: performances comparative study
in the management of MIBs
A.Outtagarts, M. Kadoch, Ecole de technologie superieure, Canada
S. Soulhi, Centre de Recherche  Informatique de Montreal, Canada

Session 2: Active Networks and Mobile Agents
Chairperson: Tom Gray, Mitel Corp. Canada

An Active Network Architecture allowing Mobile Agents Construction
to Improve Quality of Service
Sebastien Allongue, Roger Impey, National Research Council of Canada
Eric Horlait, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, France

A Design of Security Services for Active Networks
Kitt Tientanopajai, Kanchana Kanchanasut, Asian Institute of Technology,
Thailand

Intelligent and Mobile Agents over Legacy, Present and Future
Telecommunication Networks
Romel A. Tintin, Dong Ik Lee, Kwangju Institute of Science and Technology,
Republic of Korea

MAGNET: Ad-hoc Network System based on Mobile Agents
Nobuo Kawaguchi, Katsuhiko Toyama, Yasuyoshi Inagaki, Nagoya University,
Japan

Session 3: Agent Framework and Migration Strategies
Chairperson: Clifford Grossner, Nortel Networks, Canada

Adding Mobility to CORBA
Magdi Amer, Ahmed Karmouch, University of Ottawa, Canada
Tom Gray, Serguei Mankovski, Mitel Corp., Canada

Optimizing the Migration of Mobile Agents
Guilherme Soares, Luis Moura Silva, Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal

A Converter Approach for Mobile Agent System Integration: a Case of Aglet
to Voyager
Djoni Tjung, Masahiko Tsukamoto, Shojiro Nishio, Osaka University, Japan

Modeling and Comparison of Bandwidth Usage of three Migration Strategies
of Mobile Agents
Michel Barbeau, Universite de Sherbrooke, Canada

Session 4: Agent-based Network Management
Chairperson: Thomas Magedanz, IKV++ GmbH, Germany

Methodologies for PVC Configuration in Heterogeneous ATM Environments
Using Intelligent Mobile Agents
John Boyer, Bernard Pagurek, Tony White, Carleton University, Canada

Mobile Agents in the mobile telephone network management
Igor Brusic, Vesna Hassler, Wolfgang Lugmayr, Technical University of
Vienna, Austria

Distributed Management based on Mobile Agents
Jose Luis Oliveira, Universidade de Aveiro, Portugal
Rui Pedro Lopes, Instituto Politecnico de Braganca, Portugal

-----------------------------------------------------
Technical Program (Friday October 8)
-----------------------------------------------------

Session 5: Agent-based Service Management
Chairperson: Eric Horlait, University Pierre et Marie Curie, Canada

Advanced Service Provisioning based on Mobile Agents
Peyman Farjami, Carmelita Gorg, Frank Bell, Aachen University of
Technology, Germany

Service Profile guarding by mobile agents
Erik De Blieck, Michel Van Ackere, Corporate Research Centre Alcatel,
Belgium
Luigi Ciminiera, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
Tao Qi, University of Posts and Telecommunications, China

Management Services for Distributed Application Management with Agent
Technology
William C. McLean, Michael A. Bauer, University of Western Ontario, Canada

Multi-service negotiation with mobile agents
Walter Merlat, BT Laboratories, U.K.

Panel Discussion: Future of Mobile Agents

	Moderator: Suhayya Abu-Hakima, AmikaNow!, Canada
	Panelist:
		-Andre Vellino, Nortel Networks, Canada
		-T. Magedanz, IKV++ GmbH, Germany
		-Roch Glitho, Ericsson Research Canada
		-Tom Gray, Mitel Corp., Canada

Session 6: Personal Mobility Management with Mobile Agents
Chairperson: Roch Glitho, Ericsson Research Canada

A Distribution Framework for a Messaging System
Larry Korba, Ramiro Liscano, National Research Council of Canada

An Agent-based Architecture for Inter-Sites Personal Mobility Management
System
Hamid Harroud, Ahmed Karmouch, University of Ottawa, Canada
Tom Gray, Serguei Mankovski, Mitel Corporation, Canada

Agents in Personal Mobility
Stefano Campadello, Kimmo Raatikainen, University of Helsinki, Finland

Ensuring Secure Communication for a Distributed Mobile Computing System
based
on MicMac
Cui Zheng, Ahmed Karmouch, University of Ottawa, Canada
Tom Gray, Serguei Mankovski, Mitel Corp. Canada
Roger Impey, National Research Council of Canada

Session 7: Applications of Mobile Agents I
Chairperson: Marie-Pierre Gervais, University Pierre et Marie Curie, France

An XML based Web mining agent
Hicham Ouahid, Ahmed Karmouch, University of Ottawa, Canada

Mobile Web Agents for Telemedicine
Kevin D. Smith, Raman B. Paranjape, University of Regina, Canada

Experiments with Mobile Agents and distributed Workflow Systems
Guirong Cui, George M. White, University of Ottawa, Canada

Session 8: Applications of Mobile Agents II
Chairperson: Andre Vellino, Nortel Networks Canada

Software Component Retrieval System Using Agents
Y. S. Lee, C. J. Wang, Inha University, Republic of Korea

Experiments in the Mobile Agents Technology
Rosane Maria Martins, Magali Ribeiro Chaves, Luci Pirmez, Luiz Fernando
Rust,
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

A Distributed Query Service based on Mobile Agent Concept
Nadia Boukhatem, Ecole Nationale Superieure de Telecommunications, France

Session 9: Networked Multi-Agent Systems
Chairperson: Ramiro Liscano, National Research Council of Canada

A Negotiation Approach for Mobile Agents used in Managing
Telecommunication network services
L. Esmahi, P. Dini, Centre de Recherche Informatique de Montreal, Canada
J.C. Bernard, Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Canada

Policy-based Control Agents for Boundary Routers in Differentiated Services
IP
Salima Omari, University of Versailles, France
Raouf Boutaba, University of Toronto, Canada

Increasing the Dependability in a Multi-Agent System by Use of Known
Scenarios
Ralph Deters, University of Saskatchewan, Canada

GenA: Multiplatform Generic Agents
Laurent Magnin, El Hachemi Alikacem, Centre de Recherche Informatique de
Montreal, Canada
=============== end ============================