Subject: Taxonomy terms

From: Ian Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:52:27 +0100

Taking Gary's list of base, 1st & 2nd derivative terms, here's the
current working set, so far as I can work out.  At this stage I'd like
to try and work out if we have a roughly complete set of terms and
derivatives to work from.

If you notice something that isn't on the list please let us know
*now* so that it can be added.

I've tried to indicate my understanding of how some of the terms are
derived - if anyone has suggestions on how best to do this, please get
in touch.  Please also correct and complete the explanation of the
derivations.  (Blame any mistakes on a lack of caffeine :-) )

BASE TERMS:

  client

  server

  proxy { client, server } (base term?)

  [ cacheable ] [does this belong here, or 1st derivative?]

  replication

  surrogate ??

  cache

  tunnel

  cacheable

FIRST DERIVATIVE TERMS

  user agent { client }

  caching proxy { cache, proxy } 
    a.k.a. "proxy", "cache"

  origin server { server }

  "reverse proxy"

SECOND DERIVATIVE TERMS

  authoritative reference { origin server }

  content consumer { user agent }

  browser { user agent }

  surrogate { "reverse proxy", } ??
    a.k.a. origin server accelerator
    a.k.a. server-side cache

  replica (origin server)?? { origin server }

  mirror ?? { origin server }

TOPOLOGY TERMS
==============
Terms that describe the caching systems that may be encountered when
making a request.

  user agent cache { user agent, cache }

  local caching proxy { caching proxy }

  intermediate caching proxy { caching proxy }

  cache server { cache, server }

  cache cluster
    a.k.a. caching mesh (??)

  cache array

AUTOMATIC USE OF PROXIES
========================
Terms that are used when getting clients to use proxies automatically

  network element (base term?)

  traffic redirection
    a.k.a. traffic interception/hijacking

  automatic configuration

Ian

---

From: John Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:20:55 +0200

Ian,

I think this list is complete. I would ask that the base terms are 
referenced, where possible, from existing documents - RFCs or otherwise - 
(e.g. the Oxford English Dictionary is also fine by me, where appropriate). 
Only if it can be shown that the usage differs dramatically from what is 
previously understood, should we consider re-defining a term.

Do we also need "replica" as a base term (either as opposed or in addition 
to replication)?

The only point on which I disagree  is that I don't think that "surrogate" 
is a base term. Unless we see a definition on which we are at least moving 
towards consensus, I would suggest we remove it (or declare it a synonym, 
of course). Cacheable is in your list of base terms twice - once in "[]" - 
though I believe it is a 1st derivative term.

John

>   mirror ?? { origin server }

---------------------------------------------------------------
Network Appliance           Direct / Voicemail: +31 654 308 275
Kruisweg 799                               Fax: +31 23 567 9699
NL-2132 NG Hoofddorp               Main Office: +31 23 567 9600
---------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ian Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:31:06 +0100

>previously understood, should we consider re-defining a term.

That was the plan.

>of course).

Right, I wasn't too sure either.  In terms of the requirements of base
terms being referenced elsewhere, it might make more sense for it to
be a 1st derivative (is it?).

> Cacheable is in your list of base terms twice - once in "[]" - 

Oops, it was only supposed to be in the "[]".  Do others agree? I
wasn't sure whether it was a "base" or 1st derivative.

Ian