Subject: Re: Taxonomy Term closure needed

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 01:49:00 +0200

Here's a suggestion for definitions of both forward cache
and reverse cache:

A FORWARD CACHE is a cache operating on behalf of a
user agent. It is typically outside the control of any
content provider.  It is the responsibility of the client or 
network operators to deliver requests to the forward cache.
Origin servers are typically oblivious to the existence of 
forward caches - a forward cache looks just like another client
to them, with the exception of a special HTTP request header that 
some forward caches insert.

A REVERSE CACHE is the cache operating on behalf of a
origin server. It is typically controlled by a content provider.
It is the responsibility of the content provider to deliver requests
to the reverse cache. Clients are oblivious to the existence of 
reverse caches - a reverse cache looks just like the origin server
to them, with the exception of a special HTTP response header
that some reverse caches insert.

Frank

>>> Gary Tomlinson 08.09.99 0.54 >>>

It looks like we are converging on a definition for reverse proxy.  Lets try and wrap this up.  Will one of you, either Misha or Frank submit a edited definition for the group to review?

Gary

---

From: John Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:49:44 +0200

Again, please do not use the generic term "cache" - with or without 
"forward" / "reverse" prepended - but rather "proxy-cache" or "caching 
proxy". The word "cache" has many meanings most of which are beyond the 
scope of this group. It is better to be specific in our definitions.

John
WREC Co-Chair
---------------------------------------------------------------
Network Appliance           Direct / Voicemail: +31 654 308 275
Kruisweg 799                               Fax: +31 23 567 9699
NL-2132 NG Hoofddorp               Main Office: +31 23 567 9600
---------------------------------------------------------------