Subject: Re: Comments please (draft-02f)

From: "Gary Tomlinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 14:50:03 -0600

Correct if I'm wrong, but isn't a technical report that is archived properly suitable as a RFC reference?  If so, then Alex all that is needed would be to create a TR out of your current spec and place it in one of your archives at NLANR.

Gary

>>> Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]> 10/20/99 02:08PM >>>
On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Ian Cooper wrote:

> Given the current level of traffic on the list I'm fishing for *any*
> comments you may have.

    7.1.3 Cache Digest

       [Ed note: Does it really need to be submitted for Informational RFC?]

The short answer to your question is "maybe". The long answer is that we
are working on some major revisions and do not want to publish an
Informational RFC before those revisions are completed. There is little
benefit from publishing an Informational RFC (we already have an
Internet Draft-like specs on our Web site). However, there is a lot of
harm if people suddenly rush into implementing something that should be
fixed/changed first.

> I'll repeat it again, I'm fishing for *any* comments you may have.

I would suggest to replacing the [Ed note] above with something like
"Cache Digests may eventually be submitted to IETF as an RFC" or nothing
at all.

Thanks,

Alex.