Subject: Re: Taxonomy terms

From: Wojtek Sylwestrzak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:50:11 +0200 (MET DST)

> 
> * surrogate proxy (reverse, server-side etc.)
> 
> Probably I'm alone here, but I don't like defining "surrogate proxy"
> (or other equivalent term) at all. Otherwise we should define
> both "server-side proxy" and "client-side proxy" as special cases (?)
> of a "general proxy". Can each proxy be described as either
> server-side or client-side ? OK, I don't want to start another
> discussion on this here. However, the distinction here seems
> so unimportant to me, that I'd rather see as 2nd derivative
> if at all. I hope no other terminology bases on these terms ?
> 

Sorry, after second thought I believe it would fit 
into the Topology section better, since these terms
are in fact only topology relative.

--w

---

From: Wojtek Sylwestrzak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:47:39 +0200 (MET DST)

Ian:
> 
> > Cacheable is in your list of base terms twice - once in "[]" - 
> >though I believe it is a 1st derivative term.
> 
> Oops, it was only supposed to be in the "[]".  Do others agree? I
> wasn't sure whether it was a "base" or 1st derivative.
> 

I like "cacheable" better as 1st derivative, only it shouldn't
be used in the definition of "cache" then.

Other than that:

* replica

I'd rather vote for not defining replica itself, but staying
with a "mirror", and "replication". I don't think that
the term "replica" is being used in reality and we probably
shouldn't introduce too many artificial terminology here.

--w