Subject: draft-ietf-wrec-taxonomy-03a.txt

From: Ian Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:08:46 +0000

Reading for the weekend :)

Comments and corrections from Ahmed Mokhtar, Joe Ramey and Gary
Tomlinson rolled in.  Thanks.

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:32:00 -0500 (EST)

wrec: 3 (hopefully) minor nits to taxonomy.. my comments are
prepended by >>>.

-P

[..]
                    draft-ietf-wrec-taxonomy-03.txt
[..]

2.2 First order derivative terms

   The following terms are constructed taking the above base terms as
   foundation. 

   origin server (as given in [1])
      The server on which a given resource resides or is to be created.

>>> The singular usage "The server" is confusing as 2.3 allows for a
    master and N replica origin servers.. how about "a server on which
    an authoritative copy of a given resource resides or will be created"

---------

[..]

2.5 Automatic use of proxies

   Network administrators may wish to force or facilitate the use of
   proxies (typically caching proxies) by clients, enabling such

>>> I'm uncomfortable with the parenthetical that describes
    motivations for including proxies.. the reasons for doing so are
    growing quickly.. including caching, you've got tracking,
    ad-filtering, QoS games, performance enhanching proxies,
    authentication, etc... Enumerating such things seems like a
    rathole: I think the paragraph works well without the
    parenthetical at all.

--------

[..]

   (network) transparent proxy 
[..]
      The use of this type of proxy
      is transparent to both user and client.

>>> Using 'transparent' in the definition of 'transparent proxy' seems
    to be asking for trouble.. even I am not sure if this statement is
    meant to mean
       a] not detectable
       b] not relevant/not a factor operationally
       c] transparent in the non-transforming HTTP sense
    or d] does not require cooperation from clients

      A and B are clearly not true.. C is probably true, but I don't
    think it's the motivation for the statement.. so I think it must
    mean D.. so how about: "The use of this type of proxy requires no
    configuration either by the user or the client."
    
That's it!

-Pat