Subject: CFP: MMNS'2001 Special Sessions

From: "MMNS'2001" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 03:16:18 -0500

<< OUR APOLOGIES FOR MULTIPLE COPIES >>

CALL FOR PAPERS for Special Sessions in
the Fourth IFIP/IEEE International Conference on
Management of Multimedia Networks and Services (MMNS'2001)

October 29- November 1, 2001, Chicago, Illinois, USA
(http://www.mnlab.cs.depaul.edu/mmns2001)

IMPORTANT DATES
Submission deadline:    April 20, 2001
Notification of acceptance:  July 1, 2001
Final version due:    July 21, 2001

MMNS has identified a number ``focus topics'' that are of particular
relevance and importance to the field of multimedia network and service
management. MMNS plans to conduct special sessions to address such hot
issues. Papers submitted to these special sessions will go through the
normal submission and review procedure. The goal is to build special
sessions of exceptional papers all dealing with a closely related theme.
The set of focus topics include the following:

* INTERNET TRAFFIC MONITORING:  The focus of this special session
is on techniques and methodologies for collecting Internet traffic
statistics,
descriptions of collection systems implemented and deployed in the
Internet, results from these systems, and analyses of these results
describing how multimedia networks and services can be better managed.
For questions about this special session, contact Kevin Almeroth
([email-masked]).

* Multimedia in AD-HOC NETWORKS: Networks of the future are envisioned
to integrate the Internet with wireless mobile embedded devices and
ad-hoc networks. Ad-hoc networks are collections of wireless mobile
nodes that can be deployed rapidly without pre-existing or centralized
communication  infrastructure. These networks should support various
types of multimedia traffic, including audio, video, TC-based data,
and sensory data. Due to the nature of ad-hoc networks, number of new
challenges must be addressed in order to facilitate seamless services of
Ad-hoc networks. This includes unicast and multicast routing protocols,
power-aware protocols in almost all layers of the network stack, quality
and guarantee of service provisioning for multimedia traffic,
self-configuring hierarchies and architectures, address allocation and
naming,
data dissemination techniques, efficient mobility support, fault and
performance
management tools, performance analysis of end-to-end protocols such as TCP
and reliable multicast over ad-hoc networks. For questions about this
special session, contact Ahmed Helmy ([email-masked])

* RESOURCE MANAGEMENT FOR WIRELESS MULTIMEDIA: Broadband wireless
multimedia services are becoming very popular. This special session will
focus on architectures and techniques for supporting QoS Internet wireless
multimedia. The session is looking for original contributions in this
demanding
area that address related issues. This includes integration of personal
wireless
multimedia into the Internet, efficient resource management techniques that
consider the limited resources in wireless systems, such as spectrum
resource and transmitter power, mobility management, bandwidth allocation,
location and handoff procedures, channel access and assignment, call
admission
control, and end-to-end adaptive control for wireless multimedia. For
questions
about this special session, contact Muhammad Jaseemuddin
([email-masked])

* MOBILE AGENT-BASED NETWORK MANAGEMENT: Research and
development on various forms of agents and mobile agents is continuing to
grow in a staggering fashion in recent years. Agent-based telecommunication
applications and services such as active networks, Qos and bandwidth
brokers, E-commerce, information gathering on Internet, and feature
interactions
are becoming increasingly popular and are largely contributing to the
development and to the success of distributed multimedia  technology. This
session will focus on research and development activities related to the
field
of agents in the area of active networks, and QoS agent-based architectures
for managing multimedia networks and distributed services. The objective is
to
provide the audiences with a clear background into the opportunities and the
challenges that the mobile agent emerging paradigm brings about For
questions
about this special session, contact Ahmed Karmouch
([email-masked]),
Nazism Agoulmine ([email-masked]) or Allan Marshall ([email-masked])