Subject: Washington Mutual Urgent Credit/Debit card update

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 11:18:02 GMT

Dear valued Washington Mutual Bank client ,

It has come to our attention that your WAMU  Billing Information
records are out of date. That requires you to update the Billing Information
If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update
your billing records, you will not run into any future problems with WAMU  Bank's online service.
However, failure to update your records will result in account termination.
Please update your records in maximum 24 hours.

Once you have updated your account records, your WAMU  session will not be
interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in
cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing
problems.

Please
click here to update your billing records.

Thank you for your time!

Marry Kimmel,

WAMU  Billing Department team.

© Copyright 2004, Washington Mutual, Inc. All Rights. Reserved.