Subject: [XCON] Protocol Action: 'The Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP)' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:24:49 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP) '
   <draft-ietf-xcon-bfcp-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Centralized Conferencing Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xcon-bfcp-06.txt

Technical Summary
 
   Floor control is a means to manage joint or exclusive access to
   shared resources in a (multiparty) conferencing environment.
   Thereby, floor control complements other functions -- such as
   conference and media session setup, conference policy manipulation,
   and media control -- that are realized by other protocols.
   This document specifies the Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP).
   BFCP is used between floor participants and floor control servers,
   and between floor chairs (i.e., moderators) and floor control
   servers. 

Working Group Summary
 
 The working group carefully reviewed architectures for this space,
 and several protocol directions, and then concluded that this was
 the right direction.  There was strong support for this document,
 and it received multiple reviews during working group last call.

Protocol Quality

 The Area Director has been told of test implementation (and
 implementation of test suites) for BFCP, within the context of
 its 3GPP usage.

 The Responsible Area Director was Allison Mankin.  The
 Editor, Gonzalo Camarillo, took the initiative in shepherding
 the Discuss comments.

_______________________________________________
XCON mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xcon