Subject: [XCON] Comments on draft-ietf-xcon-examples-03.txt

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:24:25 +0200

Hi,

a few comments on the following document:

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-xcon-examples-03.txt

This document provides an easy-to-read introduction to CCMP and a set of
useful call flows for those intending to get an overview of the
protocol. I have a few minor comments:

Section 2 references RFC 2119. However, the intended status of this
document is Informational. Besides, the document does not seem to use
RFC 2119 normative language. That paragraph probably needs to removed.

Section 3:

"This document uses the same terminology as found in the referenced
documents"

Can we be a bit more precise and actually reference the documents we
are talking about?

Last paragraph of Section 4. For completness, it should also describe
the contents of Section 10 (i.e., the lack of IANA considerations).

Section 5: s/indipendently/independently/

Section 5.2

"[I-D.ietf-xcon-ccmp] presents several ways by which CCMP requests and
responses can be transported"

I may be mistaken but the CCMP spec does not seem to present different
transports for the protocol. I understood CCMP supports different
transports but the spec only describes the HTTP transport. We may want
to rephrase that sentence so that it talks about CCMP potentially
"supporting" different transport mechanisms instead.

Also in Section 5.2:

"...the Server would reply by means..."

The term being used in the text seems to be ConfS, not Server.

Section 5.3 describes the fact that the XCON notification mechanism is
based on SIP as a drawback because one needs a SIP stack to use it. It
would not present it as a drawback; simply as a fact.

Also in Section 5.3:

OLD:
other protocols as XMPP

NEW
other protocols such as XMPP

Section 7.2. The two first paragraphs talk about the relationship of
muting at the media level and floor control. In the past, there has
been some confusion around this. So, it may be worthwhile clarifying
that floor control and policy control at the media level are two
different things. You can have floor control that is not enforced in
any way, or floor control that is enforced at the media level (i.e.,
the conference bridge will only accept your media if you have the
floor). Adding a couple of sentences explaining this would be helpful,
I think.

Cheers,

Gonzalo