Subject: [Xml-sg-cmt] Rough meeting notes

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jan 2021 22:17:35 -0500

>From memory, please feel free to add or fix:

* Non-ASCII in more places.  Rendering anything other than Latin letters 
is hard due to size, direction, layout, and so forth.  The usual example 
is for math symbols could be better handled by adding TeX-like math 
features.

  Todo: come up with use cases to see where non-ASCII would be useful

* Some discussion of rendering, such as <tt> which is fixed pitch in HTML 
and PDF, "quoted" in text.  This isn't a vocabulary issue, how do we 
decide about rendering tweaks.

* Many of the changes since RFC 7991 were discussed in rfc-interest in 
2019.

  Todo: John and Peter will review at least some of the discussion and
  annotate or resolve questions about them

* Jay's question about what markup is required, e.g. <contact> for ASCII 
names.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

---

From: Alice Russo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 10:12:11 -0800

Hi John,
Thanks for sending. Sandy and I put notes here: 
https://codimd.ietf.org/s/cmt-20210118#
and I just pasted in the "To-do"s from your mail; please feel free to edit.

Thanks,
Alice

> On Jan 20, 2021, at 7:17 PM, John R Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> * Non-ASCII in more places.  Rendering anything other than Latin letters is hard due to size, direction, layout, and so forth.  The usual example is for math symbols could be better handled by adding TeX-like math features.
> 
> * Some discussion of rendering, such as <tt> which is fixed pitch in HTML and PDF, "quoted" in text.  This isn't a vocabulary issue, how do we decide about rendering tweaks.
> 
> * Many of the changes since RFC 7991 were discussed in rfc-interest in 2019.
> 
> * Jay's question about what markup is required, e.g. <contact> for ASCII names.
> 
> Regards,
> -- 
> Xml-sg-cmt mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xml-sg-cmt
>