Subject: [Xml-sg-cmt] topics 2021-03-01

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 09:33:55 -0700

Welcome to March! Here are some potential topics for today:

0. Action items from last week:

https://codimd.ietf.org/cmt-20210222#

(I have yet to complete mine, sorry about that!)

1. Closing out on artwork vs. sourcecode

Further commentary at
https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis/issues/195
indicates continued confusion about whether the contents of the
sourcecode element may/should/must be machine readable. If we cleave to
the distinction between artwork as visually significant and sourcecode
as everything else, then machine readability should not matter. Let's
discuss.

2. Where things get documented

Alice, Sandy, and I had a chat last week about the various locations
where we document things. It would be good for us all to be clear on
what gets documented where, so that we can point people (authors, RPC
staff, etc.) to the right places.

Here is an initial suggestion:

- 7991 + 7991bis

  - this is for official documentation of the schema
  - 7991bis should be updated to reflect decisions we've reached on this
team and in the community (rfc-interest, GitHub)

- xml2rfc doc, i.e., https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/xml2rfc-doc.html

  - this provides a snapshot of what the tool supports, but it's not
authoritative regarding the schema and thus 7991bis should be updated as
noted above

- xml2rfc FAQ, i.e., https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/xml2rfcFAQ.html

  - this answers questions about authoring documents with the tool and
includes helpful examples, but does not provide authoritative schema
documentation

- RFC Style Guide in its various guises
  current: https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7322
  future: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-flanagan-7322bis/
  web: https://www.rfc-editor.org/styleguide/part2/

  - this covers editorial and authorial issues but shouldn't cover
technical/schema/tooling issues

Let's discuss this as well. :-)

If we finish with those topics, we can move on to a few things we didn't
get to last time...

3. table in dd

https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis/issues/186

I haven't found the discussion of this on list or in Subversion.

4. dl hanging

https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis/issues/171

https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis/issues/38

I think this is "Will Document"

5. ul@bare

https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis/issues/169

https://trac.tools.ietf.org/tools/xml2rfc/trac/ticket/547

6. ul and dl indentation

https://github.com/rfc-format/draft-iab-xml2rfc-v3-bis/issues/191

/psa

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 10:12:18 -0700

Correction for the v3 FAQ:

https://www.rfc-editor.org/materials/FAQ-xml2rfcv3.html