Subject: [Xml-sg-cmt] question about table rendering in text output (and zwsp usage)

From: Alice Russo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 10:50:25 -0700

Greetings,
Re: https://www.rfc-editor.org/v3test/test9132.txt

Q: For Table 9 vs. Table 10, why does Table 9 have line breaks in the "Label" column, but Table 10 doesn't?

For example: see "request-inactive-other-active" in Table 10. First 2 rows of each table are pasted below (best viewed w/ fixed-width font). 

We can improve this by inserting &zwsp; into the <td> of Table 10, i.e., "a line break is OK here". Is there a different approach we should be aware of?

Thanks,
Alice
--

Table 9

    +==============+===============+======================+===========+
    | Code         | Label         | Description          | Reference |
    +==============+===============+======================+===========+
    | 0            | Reserved      |                      | [RFC9132] |
    +--------------+---------------+----------------------+-----------+
    | 1            | attack-       | Attack mitigation    | [RFC9132] |
    |              | mitigation-   | setup is in progress |           |
    |              | in-progress   | (e.g., changing the  |           |
    |              |               | network path to      |           |
    |              |               | redirect the inbound |           |
    |              |               | traffic to a DOTS    |           |
    |              |               | mitigator).          |           |

vs. Table 10:

   +=============+===============================+===========+=========+
   |Code         | Label                         |Description|Reference|
   +=============+===============================+===========+=========+
   |0            | Reserved                      |           |[RFC9132]|
   +-------------+-------------------------------+-----------+---------+
   |1            | request-inactive-other-active |DOTS server|[RFC9132]|
   |             |                               |has        |         |
   |             |                               |detected   |         |
   |             |                               |conflicting|         |
   |             |                               |mitigation |         |
   |             |                               |requests   |         |
   |             |                               |from       |         |
   |             |                               |different  |         |
   |             |                               |DOTS       |         |
   |             |                               |clients.   |         |
   |             |                               |This       |         |
   |             |                               |mitigation |         |
   |             |                               |request is |         |
   |             |                               |currently  |         |
   |             |                               |inactive   |         |
   |             |                               |until the  |         |
   |             |                               |conflicts  |         |
   |             |                               |are        |         |
   |             |                               |resolved.  |         |
   |             |                               |Another    |         |
   |             |                               |mitigation |         |
   |             |                               |request is |         |
   |             |                               |active.    |         |

vs. Table 10 (using &zwsp; in the XML file)

   +==============+===================+====================+===========+
   | Code         | Label             | Description        | Reference |
   +==============+===================+====================+===========+
   | 0            | Reserved          |                    | [RFC9132] |
   +--------------+-------------------+--------------------+-----------+
   | 1            | request-inactive- | DOTS server        | [RFC9132] |
   |              | other-active      | has detected       |           |
   |              |                   | conflicting        |           |
   |              |                   | mitigation         |           |
   |              |                   | requests from      |           |
   |              |                   | different DOTS     |           |
   |              |                   | clients.  This     |           |
   |              |                   | mitigation         |           |
   |              |                   | request is         |           |
   |              |                   | currently          |           |
   |              |                   | inactive until     |           |
   |              |                   | the conflicts      |           |
   |              |                   | are resolved.      |           |
   |              |                   | Another            |           |
   |              |                   | mitigation         |           |
   |              |                   | request is         |           |
   |              |                   | active.            |           |