Subject: [xmpp] 3920: id attribute on error replies

From: Matthew Wild <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 21:54:10 +0100

Minor issue in 3920. I think it would be helpful to add in section 9.3
that when generating error replies in response to stanzas, the
original stanza's 'id' attribute SHOULD be included in the reply.

For example we already have this text in 9.1.3:

   The 'id' attribute is used by the entity that generates a stanza
   ("the originating entity") to track any response or error stanza that
   it might receive in relation to the generated stanza from another
   entity (such as an intermediate server or the intended recipient).

But in truth there is no way (purely by the specs) to be sure error
replies will contain the correct id. I'd hope that most
implementations do the right thing (since this is common sense) but it
makes sense to change it for the future.

Agreed?

Matthew

---

From: Florian Zeitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 00:28:00 +0200

We also have:
>    For <message/> and <presence/> stanzas, it is RECOMMENDED for the
>    originating entity to include an 'id' attribute; for <iq/> stanzas,
>    it is REQUIRED.
> 
>    If the generated stanza includes an 'id' attribute then it is
>    REQUIRED for the response or error stanza to also include an 'id'
>    attribute, where the value of the 'id' attribute MUST match that of
>    the generated stanza.
Which was AFAIR added exactly for this purpose ;)

---

From: Matthew Wild <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:33:16 +0100

2009/10/12 Florian Zeitz <[email-masked]>:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Matthew Wild wrote:

Now how did I miss that? :)

I won't push it then, but still how about mentioning it in the section
regarding error replies?

Matthew