Subject: [xmpp] updated bis drafts

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:45:13 -0600

FYI, I just submitted updated versions of 3920bis (03) and 3921bis (02).
To the best of my knowledge these incorporate all feedback received to
date.

Thanks to the many people who have commented on these specs. All errors
are my responsibility. :)

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Waqas Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:32:03 +0500

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>

I noticed an issue:

3921bis-02 changes the server handling of inbound presence subscription
stanzas. According to bis-01, the server SHOULD NOT deliver inbound presence
subscription stanzas (except "subscribe" stanzas) to the user. According to
bis-02 the server MUST deliver them if they modify the roster. The bis-02
appendix A however was not updated to reflect this change, and still
suggests 'SHOULD NOT'.

--
Waqas Hussain

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:58:44 -0600

On 10/27/09 12:32 PM, Waqas Hussain wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 11:45 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
> stanzas. According to bis-01, the server SHOULD NOT deliver inbound
> presence subscription stanzas (except "subscribe" stanzas) to the user.
> According to bis-02 the server MUST deliver them if they modify the
> roster. The bis-02 appendix A however was not updated to reflect this
> change, and still suggests 'SHOULD NOT'.

Sorry about that, I neglected to update the appendix.

As to whether the server needs to deliver inbound presence subscription
stanzas (subscribed, unsubscribe, unsubscribed), my reasoning is that if
the server does not deliver them to the client then the client has no
way to tell whether the roster push was generated by another resource or
triggered by the contact.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/