Subject: [xmpp] _xmpp-client SRV-ID type support

From: Paul Aurich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:25:39 -0800

3920bis-18 13.7.1.2.1. reads, in part:
   o  Support for the SRV-ID identifier type [PKIX-SRV] is REQUIRED for
      XMPP client and server software implementations (XMPP client
      implementations need to support only the "_xmpp-client" service
      type, whereas XMPP server implementations need to support both the
      "_xmpp-client" and "_xmpp-server" service types).  Certification
      authorities that issue XMPP-specific certificates SHOULD support
      the SRV-ID identifier type.  Service providers SHOULD include the
      SRV-ID identifier type in certificate requests.

What exactly does it mean that a server needs to support the "_xmpp-client"
service type?  I read these sections as referencing what implementations
need to be able to validate, but I can't come up with circumstances under
which a server would be validating an _xmpp-client asserted SRV-ID.

~Paul

---

From: Paul Aurich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:39:30 -0800

> which a server would be validating an _xmpp-client asserted SRV-ID.

Hmm, nevermind me.  I think I need the exhaustion-equivalent of Google's
Mail Goggles.

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:44:28 +0800

> Hmm, nevermind me.  I think I need the exhaustion-equivalent of Google's

There is a typo: for verification purposes, the client needs to support
the "_xmpp-server" service type, not "_xmpp-client".

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Paul Aurich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 00:12:44 -0800

> the "_xmpp-server" service type, not "_xmpp-client".

Hmm, really?  I'll admit that printing out, sitting down, and reading
the SRV-ID spec is on my TODO list for tomorrow, but a quick perusal
makes me think that an XMPP client would be expected to validate an
_xmpp-client service type (it's connecting to an XMPP client<>server
service, after all).

(If this is the case, I think I'm still not quite understanding under
what circumstances a server needs to verify an _xmpp-client SRV-ID.  Or
is this section meant to talk about what types a server offering to let
an admin generate a CSR MUST/SHOULD offer?)

~Paul

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:52:11 +0800

> an admin generate a CSR MUST/SHOULD offer?)

Oh yes, I'm sorry. Too much multitasking here at the IETF meeting.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/