Subject: [xmpp] RFC 6122 ABNF ambiguity?

From: Jack Bates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:37:42 -0700

Hi, I think there's an ambiguity in the RFC 6122 ABNF?

      ifqdn         = 1*(namepoint)
                      ;
                      ; a "namepoint" is a UTF-8 encoded Unicode
                      ; code point that satisfies the Nameprep
                      ; profile of stringprep

I think it should specify "with the UseSTD3ASCIIRules flag set (thus forbidding
ASCII code points other than letters, digits, and hyphens)", like it does
elsewhere in the RFC.  Otherwise I think slash ("/") "satisfies the Nameprep
profile of stringprep"?  So it's ambiguous whether the ABNF, when applied to
the JID "example.com/blah", yields:

  domainpart="example.com"
  resourcepart="blah"

 - or -

  domainpart="example.com/blah"

However if it *does* specify "with the UseSTD3ASCIIRules flag set (thus
forbidding ASCII code points other than letters, digits, and hyphens)", then it
will fail to match the JID "example.com/blah" because dot (".") is an "ASCII
code point other than letters, digits, and hyphens"?

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:46:50 -0600

> code point other than letters, digits, and hyphens"?

The intent is to obsolete RFC 6122 using a non-stringprep approach, so I
think it would be more constructive to receive feedback on 6122bis:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saintandre-xmpp-6122bis-02

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/