Subject: [xmpp] small comments on draft-ietf-xmpp-websocket

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 16:55:51 -0600

Here are a few small comments on draft-ietf-xmpp-websocket...

Section 2 says:

   XMPP also has a concept of messages, which
   are stanzas whose top-level element name is message.

To prevent confusion, I suggest:

   XMPP also has a concept of messages, which
   are stanzas whose top-level element name is <message/>.

Section 3.9 says:

   Because TLS is to be provided outside of the XMPP sub-protocol layer,
   a server MUST NOT advertise TLS as a stream feature (see Section 4.6
   of [RFC6120]), and a client MUST ignore any advertised TLS stream
   feature, when using the XMPP sub-protocol.

In cases where the WebSocket connection is served by an intermediary
connection manager, will the XMPP server necessarily know that the
client is connecting via WebSocket instead of BOSH or TCP? If so, we
might need to adjust that text slightly.

Section 4 mentions a connection method name of
"_xmpp-client-websocket" but that has not yet been added to the XMPP
registry:

http://xmpp.org/registrar/alt-connections.html

I'll make sure to ping the XMPP Registrar about that. ;-)

Peter

- -- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/