Subject: [xmpp] RFC 7711 on PKIX over Secure HTTP (POSH)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 15:53:53 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7711

        Title:      PKIX over Secure HTTP (POSH) 
        Author:     M. Miller,
                    P. Saint-Andre
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      18
        Characters: 41302
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-xmpp-posh-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7711

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7711

Experience has shown that it is difficult to deploy proper PKIX
certificates for Transport Layer Security (TLS) in multi-tenanted
environments.  As a result, domains hosted in such environments often
deploy applications using certificates that identify the hosting
service, not the hosted domain.  Such deployments force end users and
peer services to accept a certificate with an improper identifier,
resulting in degraded security.  This document defines methods that
make it easier to deploy certificates for proper server identity
checking in non-HTTP application protocols.  Although these methods
were developed for use in the Extensible Messaging and Presence
Protocol (XMPP) as a Domain Name Association (DNA) prooftype, they
might also be usable in other non-HTTP application protocols.

This document is a product of the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC