Subject: [xmpp] RFC 7712 on Domain Name Associations (DNA) in the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 15:54:05 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7712

        Title:      Domain Name Associations (DNA) in 
                    the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol 
                    (XMPP) 
        Author:     P. Saint-Andre,
                    M. Miller,
                    P. Hancke
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       November 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 49879
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-xmpp-dna-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7712

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7712

This document improves the security of the Extensible Messaging and
Presence Protocol (XMPP) in two ways.  First, it specifies how to
establish a strong association between a domain name and an XML
stream, using the concept of "prooftypes".  Second, it describes how
to securely delegate a service domain name (e.g., example.com) to a
target server hostname (e.g., hosting.example.net); this is
especially important in multi-tenanted environments where the same
target server hosts a large number of domains.

This document is a product of the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC