Subject: [xmpp] Fwd: [jdev] [CFP] FOSDEM 2016, RTC devroom, speakers, volunteers neeeded

From: Ralph Meijer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 21:31:13 +0100

Dear all,

Daniel Pocock sent out the attached Call for Participation for the
FOSDEM 2016 Realtime Devroom, a devroom co-organised by the XSF and the
telephony crowd. Unfortunately, we haven't gotten any XMPP-related talk
proposals so far. I just noticed that the CfP never ended up in these
other mailing lists, so maybe we messed this up or they got dropped in
moderation.

Please send in your proposals as soon as possible, by using the FOSDEM
Pentabarf system, so we have some more great talks to promote XMPP in
its many of its facets.

XMPP Rocks!

-- 
Cheers,

ralphm

Subject: [jdev] [CFP] FOSDEM 2016, RTC devroom, speakers, volunteers neeeded
From: Daniel Pocock <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 21:13:06 +0100 (CET)
List-Id: Jabber/XMPP software development list <jdev.jabber.org>

FOSDEM is one of the world's premier meetings of free software developers,
with over five thousand people attending each year.  FOSDEM 2016
takes place 30-31 January 2016 in Brussels, Belgium.  http://fosdem.org

This email contains information about:
- Real-Time communications dev-room and lounge,
- speaking opportunities,
- volunteering in the dev-room and lounge,
- related events around FOSDEM, including the XMPP summit,
- social events (including the Saturday night dinner),
- the Planet aggregation sites for RTC blogs

Call for participation - Real Time Communications (RTC)
=======================================================

The Real-Time dev-room and Real-Time lounge is about all things involving
real-time communication, including: XMPP, SIP, WebRTC, telephony,
mobile VoIP, codecs, privacy and encryption.  The dev-room is a successor
to the previous XMPP and telephony dev-rooms.  We are looking for speakers
for the dev-room and volunteers and participants for the tables in the
Real-Time lounge.

The dev-room is only on Saturday, 30 January 2016.  The lounge will
be present for both days.

To discuss the dev-room and lounge, please join the FSFE-sponsored
Free RTC mailing list: https://lists.fsfe.org/mailman/listinfo/free-rtc

Speaking opportunities
----------------------

Note: if you used Pentabarf before, please use the same account/username

Main track: the deadline for main track presentations is midnight
today, 30 October.  Leading developers in the Real-Time Communications
field are encouraged to consider submitting a presentation to
the main track at https://fosdem.org/submit

Real-Time Communications dev-room: deadline 27 November
Please also use the Pentabarf system to submit a talk proposal for the
dev-room.  On the "General" tab, please look for the "Track" option and
choose "Real-Time devroom".  https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM16/

Other dev-rooms: some speakers may find their topic is in the scope of more
than one dev-room.  It is permitted to apply to more than one dev-room but
please be kind enough to tell us if you do this.  You can find the full
list of dev-rooms at https://www.fosdem.org/2016/schedule/tracks/

Lightning talks: deadline 27 November
The lightning talks are an excellent opportunity to introduce
a wider audience to your project.  Given that dev-rooms are
becoming increasingly busy, all speakers are encouraged to
consider applying for a lightning talk as well as a slot in the dev-room.
On the "General" tab, please look for the "Track" option and
choose "Lightning Talks".  https://fosdem.org/submit

First-time speaking?
--------------------

FOSDEM dev-rooms are a welcoming environment for people who have never
given a talk before.  Please feel free to contact the dev-room administrators
personally if you would like to ask any questions about it.

Submission guidelines
---------------------

The Pentabarf system will ask for many of the essential details.  Please
remember to re-use your account from previous years if you have one.

In the "Submission notes", please tell us about:
- the purpose of your talk
- any other talk applications (dev-rooms, lightning talks, main track)
- availability constraints and special needs

You can use HTML in your bio, abstract and description.

If you maintain a blog, please consider providing us with the
URL of a feed with posts tagged for your RTC-related work.

We will be looking for relevance to the conference and dev-room themes,
presentations aimed at developers of free and open source software about
RTC-related topics.

Please feel free to suggest a duration between 20 minutes and 55 minutes
but note that the final decision on talk durations will be made by the
dev-room administrators.  As the two previous dev-rooms have been
combined into one, we may decide to give shorter slots than in previous
years so that more speakers can participate.

Please note FOSDEM aims to record and live-stream all talks.
The CC-BY license is used.

For any questions, please join the FSFE-sponsored
Free RTC mailing list: https://lists.fsfe.org/mailman/listinfo/free-rtc

Volunteers needed
=================

To make the dev-room and lounge run successfully, we are looking for
volunteers:

- FOSDEM provides video recording equipment and live streaming,
  volunteers are needed to assist in this
- organizing one or more restaurant bookings (dependending upon number of
  participants) for the evening of Saturday, 30 January
- participation in the Real-Time lounge
- helping attract sponsorship funds for the dev-room to pay for the
  Saturday night dinner and any other expenses
- circulating this Call for Participation to other mailing lists

FOSDEM is made possible by volunteers and if you have time to contribute,
please feel free to get involved through https://volunteers.fosdem.org/

Related events - XMPP and RTC summits
=====================================

The XMPP Standards Foundation (XSF) has traditionally held a summit
in the days before FOSDEM.  There is discussion about a similar
summit taking place on 28 and 29 January 2016
http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Summit_19 - please join the mailing
list for details: http://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/summit

We are also considering a more general RTC or telephony summit,
potentially on 29 January.  Please join the Free-RTC mailing list
and send an email if you would be interested in participating,
sponsoring or hosting such an event.

Social events and dinners
=========================

The traditional FOSDEM beer night occurs on Friday, 29 January

On Saturday night, there are usually dinners associated with
each of the dev-rooms.  Most restaurants in Brussels are not so
large so these dinners have space constraints.  Please subscribe
to the Free-RTC mailing list for further details about the
Saturday night dinner options and how you can register for a seat:
https://lists.fsfe.org/mailman/listinfo/free-rtc

Spread the word and discuss
===========================

If you know of any mailing lists where this CfP would be relevant, please
forward this email. If this dev-room excites you, please blog or microblog
about it, especially if you are submitting a talk.

If you regularly blog about RTC topics, please send details about your
blog to the planet site administrators:

  http://planet.jabber.org        [email-masked]

  http://planet.sip5060.net       [email-masked]

  http://planet.opentelecoms.org  [email-masked]

Please also link to the Planet sites from your own blog or web site.

Contact
=======

For discussion and queries, please join the free-rtc mailing list:
https://lists.fsfe.org/mailman/listinfo/free-rtc

The dev-room administration team:

  Daniel Pocock <[email-masked]>
  Ralph Meijer <[email-masked]>
  Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <[email-masked]>
  Iain R. Learmonth <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
JDev mailing list
Info: http://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/jdev
Unsubscribe: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 22:32:12 +0000

The original went straight into my Google spam folder.

Conspiracy theories welcome.
On 20 Nov 2015 20:31, "Ralph Meijer" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> Cc:
> xmpp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xmpp
>
>

---

From: Daniel Pocock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 06:47:04 +0100

> Conspiracy theories welcome.

I don't use gmail myself.  Could you contact the support team and ask
why this message was marked as spam and let me know so I can be more
careful writing messages like that in future?

Could you look at the message headers to see if there is any clue there
from the spam classifier?

May not be an anti-XMPP conspiracy though, it is a known problem for a
long time now that Google's spam filter is quite bad and they expect you
to spend a little bit of time working for them every day training their
spam filter:
http://danielpocock.com/unpaid-work-training-googles-spam-filters

Regards,

Daniel

---

From: Arc Riley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 22:02:39 -0800

I'm on email, it did not go to spam.

---

From: Daniel Pocock <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 08:38:48 +0100

> I'm on email, it did not go to spam.

Can anybody else comment on whether they got it or not?

Does anybody who did or did not receive it see any headers indicating
how Google's spam filters are classifying the message?

I'm hearing far too many reports of these problems these days.  Somebody
suggested it may be triggered by 4 of the letters in my surname,
although I feel lucky not be in the same situation as these people:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/18/facebook-thinks-im-a-terrorist-woman-named-isis-has-account-disabled