Subject: [xmpp] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7711 (6338)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 01:15:35 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7711,
"PKIX over Secure HTTP (POSH)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6338

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Bastien Lacoste <[email-masked]>

Section: 6

Original Text
-------------
The POSH client MUST NOT cache results (reference or fingerprints)
indefinitely.  If the source domain returns a reference, the POSH
client MUST use the lower of the two "expires" values when
determining how long to cache results (i.e., if the reference
"expires" value is lower than the fingerprints "expires" value, honor
the reference "expires" value).  Once the POSH client considers the
results stale, it needs to perform the entire POSH operation again,
starting with the HTTPS GET request to the source domain.  The POSH
client MAY use a lower value than any provided in the "expires"
member(s), or not cache results at all.

Corrected Text
--------------
Add the following:

If the source returns an invalid reference, the POSH client SHALL NOT cache the results (reference or fingerprint) and SHALL perform the entire POSH operation again whenever performing any further retry.

Notes
-----
If reference is lost (eg x509 certificate) and if POSH client does not refresh fingerprint then it fails until expiration of old fingerprints... which will prevent the client to access a service because of caching, although references was updated on source domain.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7711 (draft-ietf-xmpp-posh-06)
--------------------------------------
Title               : PKIX over Secure HTTP (POSH)
Publication Date    : November 2015
Author(s)           : M. Miller, P. Saint-Andre
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol
Area                : Applications and Real-Time
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG