Subject: [xmpp] Fwd: [CFP] FOSDEM 2021, RTC devroom, speakers, volunteers neeeded

From: FOSDEM RTC Team <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 20:53:35 +0100 (CET)

FOSDEM - Real Time Communications devroom CfP
=============================================

NOTE: we have extended the deadline but we will give preference
to people who submitted earlier when we set the time for each
talk.  Please submit your proposal ASAP so that you can get
your preferred time slot.

Overview
--------

[FOSDEM](https://fosdem.org) is one of the world's premier meetings of
free software developers, with over five thousand people attending each
year. FOSDEM 2021 takes place 6-7 February 2021 and for the very first
time, it will be online.

This document contains information about:

-   Real-Time Communications developer room (devroom)
-   speaking opportunities
-   volunteering

New rules for the online edition
--------------------------------

This year FOSDEM will be fully online instead of being held in Brussels,
here are the most important things to know about this (quite
significant) change:

-   The reference time will be Brussels local time (CET)
-   Talks will be pre-recorded in advance, and streamed during the event
-   The Q/A session will be live
-   A facility will be provided for people watching to chat between
    themselves
-   A facility will be provided for people watching to submit questions

Call for participation - Real Time Communications (RTC)
-------------------------------------------------------

The Real-Time devroom is about all things involving real-time
communication, including: XMPP, SIP, WebRTC, telephony, mobile VoIP,
codecs, peer-to-peer, privacy and encryption.

**We are looking for speakers for the devroom and volunteers who can
help manage the scheduling and live Q&A sessions.**

The devroom is only on Saturday, 6th of February 2021.

To discuss the devroom, volunteer or ask questions, please join the
[Free-RTC mailing
list](http://lists.freertc.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss).

### Key dates

-   20th Dec: Submission deadline (extended to 8 January)
-   24th Dec: Announcement of selected talks
-   15th Jan: Presentations upload deadline
-   6th & 7th Feb: Conference dates (online)
-   6th Feb: RTC devroom date (online)

### Speaking opportunities

Note: if you used FOSDEM Pentabarf before, please use the same
account/username

Real-Time Communications devroom: deadline 23:59 UTC on 20th of
December. Please use the
[Pentabarf](https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM21/) system to
submit a talk proposal for the devroom. On the "General" tab, please
look for the "Track" option and choose "Real Time Communications
devroom".

### First-time speaking?

FOSDEM devrooms are a welcoming environment for people who have never
given a talk before. Please feel free to contact the devroom
administrators personally if you would like to ask any questions about
it.

This year this is more true than ever, being able to record your
presentation offline without an audience in front can greatly help build
up one's confidence!

### Submission guidelines

The Pentabarf system will ask for many of the essential details. Please
remember to re-use your account from previous years if you have one.

In the "Submission notes", please tell us about:

-   The purpose of your talk
-   Any other talk applications (devrooms, lightning talks, main track)
-   Availability constraints and special needs

You can use HTML and links in your bio, abstract and description.

If you maintain a blog, please consider providing us with the URL of a
feed with posts tagged for your RTC-related work.

We will be looking for relevance to the conference and devroom themes,
presentations aimed at developers of free and open source software about
RTC-related topics.

Please feel free to suggest a duration between 20 minutes and 55 minutes
but note that the final decision on talk durations will be made by the
devroom administrators based on the number of received proposals. As the
two previous devrooms have been combined into one, we may decide to give
shorter slots than in previous years so that more speakers can
participate.

Please note FOSDEM aims to record and live-stream all talks. The CC-BY
license is used.

### Recording help

The devroom organization is able to provide help with recording your
session. The recording would be performed at a scheduled time with one
of us, so you won't be alone giving your presentation. Minimal edits
will be possible, but the ideal plan is to record it in one shot.

Thanks Dan Jenkins for providing us with the means to do this!

Volunteers needed
-----------------

To make the devroom run successfully, we are looking for volunteers.
This year many things be done for the first time, so all the help we can
get is more than welcome.

Spread the word and discuss
---------------------------

If you know of any mailing lists where this CfP would be relevant,
please forward this document. If this devroom excites you, please blog
or microblog about it, especially if you are submitting a talk.

If you regularly blog about RTC topics, please send details about your
blog to the planet site administrators:

-   All projects https://planet.freertc.org [email-masked]
-   XMPP https://planet.jabber.org [email-masked]
-   SIP https://planet.sip5060.net [email-masked]

Please also link to the Planet sites from your own blog or web site as
this helps everybody in the free real-time communications community.

Contact
-------

For any private queries, contact us directly using the address
[email-masked]** and for any other queries please ask on
the [Free-RTC mailing
list](http://lists.freertc.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss).

The devroom administration team:

-   Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <[email-masked]>
-   Ralph Meijer <[email-masked]>
-   Daniel-Constantin Mierla <[email-masked]>
-   Daniel Pocock <[email-masked]>
-   Guus der Kinderen <[email-masked]>