Subject: Re: [xrblock] E-flag in xrblock-rtcp-xr-discard-rle-metrics

From: Varun Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 16:11:23 +0300

Hi all,

There were a few emails exchanged on the mailing list with regards to
the E-flag (for early and late discards). The discard-03 draft expands
the E-bit from 1-bit to 2-bits, which now expresses different reasons
for discards (misc, early, late, cumulative).

Discarded bytes can be used by the RTP sender to observe overuse or
underuse and react accordingly.
Similarly the discarded RLE shows which packets were discarded and
more importantly the pattern of discards (towards the beginning or
later in the reported interval). For example: the RTP sender can
overlay the discard RLE and loss RLE and observe if the losses
occurred after discards.

The discard-RLE draft already provides a brief guideline on when to
use the different discard reports. We can clarify there that the
discard RLE and bytes should be used where precision is required else
use the discarded packets report (which gives more range of discard
types).

Therefore, I do not think this expansion is required for the discarded
bytes or Discard RLE and a single bit identifying discard due to late
and early should be sufficient.

Comments?

Cheers,
Varun

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Shida Schubert <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> This is an announcement of a 2 weeks XRBLOCK WG last call on
> "Report Block for Run Length Encodings of Discarded Packets" prior
> to requesting publication of the document as a proposed standard.
>
> Please send your comments, including nits, to the list by the
>
>  14th of June
>
> If you read the draft and you see no issues, concerns, or nits, please
> express the fact that you have no issue progressing the draft on the
> list as well.
>
> The latest version can be found here:
>
>  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-discard-rle-metrics-03
>
> Regards
>
> Shida as co-chair
> _______________________________________________
> xrblock mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/xrblock

-- 
http://www.netlab.tkk.fi/~varun/