Subject: [xrblock] Protocol Action: 'RTCP XR Report Block for Loss Concealment Metrics Reporting on Video Applications' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-video-lc-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:55:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'RTCP XR Report Block for Loss Concealment Metrics Reporting on Video
   Applications'
  (draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-video-lc-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Metric Blocks for use with RTCP's
Extended Report Framework Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov, Ben Campbell and Alissa
Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-video-lc/

Technical Summary

   Multimedia applications often suffer from packet losses in IP
   networks. In order to get a reasonable degree of quality in case of
   packet losses, it is necessary to have loss concealment mechanisms at
   the decoder. Video loss concealment is a range of techniques to mask
   the effects of packet loss in video communications. 

   In some applications, reporting the information of receivers applying
   video loss concealment could give monitors or senders useful
   information on application QoE. One example is no-reference video
   quality evaluation. Video probes located upstream from the video
   endpoint or terminal may not see loss occurring between the probe and
   the endpoint, and may also not be fully aware of the specific loss
   concealment methods being dynamically applied by the video endpoint.
   Evaluating error concealment is important in the circumstance in
   estimating the subjective impact of impairments.  

   This draft defines one new video loss concealment block type to
   augment those defined in [RFC3611] and [RFC7294] for use in a range
   of RTP video applications. The metrics defined in this draft belong
   to the class of transport-related terminal metrics defined in
   [RFC6792].

Working Group Summary

  The XRBLOCK WG has a small but dedicated number of contributors. The I-D was attentively reviewed and improved by comments provided by contributors. There is strong consensus to advance the document to the IESG

Document Quality

 Representatives from a couple of vendors reported on plans to implement. The document was reviewed by the SDP and PMOL directorates, and comments made by these were addressed and changes incorporated.  

Personnel

  Dan Romascanu is the Shepherd, Alissa Cooper is the Responsible AD.