Subject: [yaco-community-tool] Observations from my second attempt at using the community tool

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 15:39:49 -0600

(The first attempt stopped abruptly with a crash).

I spent some time trying to exercise this tool and ran into several 
problems.

I want to ask about what the expectations of the current implementation 
and test instance were
before asserting that these are bugs.

Should the search results be accurate? I set up a rule to search for all 
documents
containing the text "location conveyance". It only found seven. There 
are many, many
more.

Should sorting work? - I tried the various sort options in the display 
customization section.
Alphabetical by title or by filename worked. Publication date didn't. 
Sorting by change or
significant change produced results that didn't make sense.

I could only subscribe to lists or feeds from the read-only view of the 
list.
It is very unintuitive to look there for those options - why aren't they 
available to me on my regular view?

The view URL itself is coding the username into the URL - why? I 
_assume_ you have coded policy
that doesn't let me look at Adam's list just because I know his login. 
If that's the case, stopping at
community/personal or using something like community/personal/mainlist 
and figuring out which
list to look at by seeing who was logged in seems a lot safer.

Similarly, the way this currently constructs the "read only" view 
necessarily makes all of the lists
public. The intent of 6293 was that these be private by default and only 
exposed if the person
wants to expose them. As it is now, I know I can see Adam's list by 
looking at
http://beta.community.yaco.es/community/personal/adam%40nostrum.com/view/

I logged in as stream_user. It does not let me change any state on any 
documents, so I couldn't
test the notification features.

The option to list "changed within 1,2,7 days" as separate columns would 
be better met with
just listing a column with the number of days since the last change 
actually in the column.

I forgot (and am subsequently surprised) that 6293 restricts users to 
only one list.
I don't expect that restriction to survive actual use - I hope the code 
will be easy to adapt to the notion of
multiple lists later.

RjS

---

From: "Emilio A. Sánchez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 12:48:31 +0100

Hi Robert,

    I'll answer you inline.

> (The first attempt stopped abruptly with a crash).

    This was a bug. You didn't have an user to log in but your email 
address already was in the system. This bug is now fixed. Thanks for 
your notification.

> before asserting that these are bugs.

    Everything that do not work is a bug :)

> containing the text "location conveyance". It only found seven. There

    I'll check it.

> significant change produced results that didn't make sense.

    I'll check the publication date sort.

    Sorting by significant/normal changes do not work cause in the 
database there is no information telling if the changes are significant. 
This information is added to the new changes, so when new changes get 
recorder this sorting will work.

    I'll try to get it fixed so at least it sorts by the last existing 
change.

> available to me on my regular view?

    I'll add this two links in the "Exports" tab of the list management 
view.

> list to look at by seeing who was logged in seems a lot safer.

    That's a great comment! You're right, the user name is not needed in 
the url, and of course you can't see the list management view of any 
person. I'll change this url.

> http://beta.community.yaco.es/community/personal/adam%40nostrum.com/view/

    I'll replace the url of the public views with a super secret hash so 
you have to explicit share the link.

> test the notification features.

    That was a missconfiguration of the beta server. I've fixed it.

> just listing a column with the number of days since the last change

    I think that 6293 requires these three columns. I suppose that 
someone may want to add to their list just one of them.

> will be easy to adapt to the notion of

    Is not trivial to adapt but of course it's easy. The model is not 
restricted to just one list per user but you'll need to do some changes 
like:

    * Add a name to the list model so you can differentiate your lists.
    * Add a view that list all of your ID lists so you can choose one to 
manage.

    Thanks for all your comments.

    Best,

> RjS
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> yaco-community-tool mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yaco-community-tool