Subject: [yaco-wgchair-tracker] Feature request: inform of actions when pressing a button

From: "Miguel A. Garcia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:24:18 +0200

I want to ask for a feature. I just played for a few minutes with the new 
tool, and I think the tool does not provide verbose feedback of what is 
going on behind the scenes when I press a button.

Just to give you an example. If I add a new shepherd, will the tool 
automatically send an e-mail to that person? This is of especial interest 
if in some parts of the flow the tool automatically sends an e-mail as 
part of the process.

So, I am asking for a small subwindow that indicates what the actions 
were taken and perhaps hints for the actions that weren't taken. For 
example: "[email-masked] added as a shepherd; no e-mail sent".

Thanks,

     Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia
+34-91-339-3608
Ericsson Spain

---

From: "Emilio A. Sánchez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:56:49 +0200

Hi Miguel,

El 30/03/11 13:24, Miguel A. Garcia escribió:
> I want to ask for a feature. I just played for a few minutes with the
> new tool, and I think the tool does not provide verbose feedback of what
> is going on behind the scenes when I press a button.
>
> automatically send an e-mail to that person? This is of especial
> interest if in some parts of the flow the tool automatically sends an
> e-mail as part of the process.

    No, if you add a new shepherd successfully no email is sent. If you 
try to add a shepherd using and email that has no access to the tool 
then you can send some emails (to the email address, to secretariat and 
to the WG chairs) informing of the situation.

> example: "[email-masked] added as a shepherd; no e-mail sent".

    I'm going to revise the messages from the forms and try to do them 
more verbose.

---

From: Ed Juskevicius <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:28:38 -0400

Hello.  I am writing this message to offer a comment on 1 of the points that
you discussed with Miguel earlier today:

>   No, if you add a new shepherd successfully no email is sent. If you try
> to add a shepherd using and email that has no access to the tool then you
> can send some emails (to the email address, to secretariat and to the WG
> chairs) informing of the situation.
>
>
>

After reading the above, I looked at RFC 6715 to remind myself about the
requirements on this point.  You are right.  The spec calls for a message to
be sent (for the reasons stated above) when a Chair tries to delegate
someone who doesn't have the ability to log-into the Datatracker.  That is
is good feature.

This being said, I probably should have suggested that an e-mail to a "newly
designated Document Shepherd" be sent by the Datatracker to the newly
designated person, to inform them that they have just been successfully
designated by a WG Chair, and also (copy to the WG Chairs and other
Delegates) to serve as an "Ack" that this all happened successfully.

Put another way, RFC6175 does not say *not* to send an e-mail to newly
designated Shepherds (or Delegates, for that matter) to inform them of
events.

Perhaps this would be a good thing?

I suggest discussing this one with Henrik.

Best Regards,

Ed

>   I'm going to revise the messages from the forms and try to do them more
> verbose.
>
>  Thanks,
>>
>> Miguel
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> yaco-wgchair-tracker mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yaco-wgchair-tracker
>

---

From: "Emilio A. Sánchez" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 16:13:07 +0200

El 30/03/11 16:28, Ed Juskevicius escribió:
> Hello.  I am writing this message to offer a comment on 1 of the points
> that you discussed with Miguel earlier today:
>
>        No, if you add a new shepherd successfully no email is sent. If
>     you try to add a shepherd using and email that has no access to the
>     tool then you can send some emails (to the email address, to
>     secretariat and to the WG chairs) informing of the situation.
>
> requirements on this point.  You are right.  The spec calls for a
> message to be sent (for the reasons stated above) when a Chair tries to
> delegate someone who doesn't have the ability to log-into the
> Datatracker.  That is is good feature.
> This being said, I probably should have suggested that an e-mail to a
> "newly designated Document Shepherd" be sent by the Datatracker to the
> newly designated person, to inform them that they have just been
> successfully designated by a WG Chair, and also (copy to the WG Chairs
> and other Delegates) to serve as an "Ack" that this all happened
> successfully.

    You are right, this is not required in RFC6175 but it seems quite 
reasonable.

    I create a ticket [1] for this feature and if no one has anything 
against it then I'll implement it as soon as possible.

    Best,

>         example: "[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> added as a shepherd;
>         no e-mail sent".
>
>
>        I'm going to revise the messages from the forms and try to do
>     them more verbose.
>
>         Thanks,
>
>         Miguel
>
>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>